Since the "gear" forum is retired. . .

The New Gear: Maintenance, Repair, and Modification Forum.
----Hosted by Al Benoit

Since the "gear" forum is retired. . .

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:28 pm

move this post if you have to, but I was wondering if there are any gear-heads (for lack of a proper name) or electrician types on here who know anything about this:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~pdieten/aboutt814.html (If you scroll down there is a list of the tubes).

I was wondering if these tubes are of any use or value today. I am currently the care-taker of my family's 130 year old farm/homestead and I found one of these radios in the henhouse. I have no idea how many decades the radio has been stored in the old, unheated, uninsulated, and unused building, but it looks pretty rusty, dirty, and I do not feel like plugging it in to see if it works (which I doubt).

I have never heard of these types of tubes other than the description on the website above, so I was wondering if anyone else has.

I'll try to post some photos of the actual radio and tubes in a bit.

Thanks.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Here is an information sheet on the inside of the radio:

Here is the front:

Here is the inside:
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Now for the tubes:

Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Is this thing just junk? or what?
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:17 pm

We'll see if we can scare up some info for you...

..and yes the "gear" forum would have been the right place for this kind of thing but we lost our gear heads a while back and haven't replaced them yet. If Thom were still around, he would have answered you three times by now.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:We'll see if we can scare up some info for you...

..and yes the "gear" forum would have been the right place for this kind of thing but we lost our gear heads a while back and haven't replaced them yet. If Thom were still around, he would have answered you three times by now.

Yup, Thom is THE MAN when it comes to anything with A tube in it. Althought he no longer lurks around here, he can still be found at the Munro Group.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Okay, so it's alright if there are no experts or THE MAN on here anymore, but how about someone with even a slight knowledge?

For example, to my untrained eye, I would say that those tubes look rusty and old and considering how long they have been poorly kept in storage, I would guess they are currently useless. Am I wrong?

Or, even something as simple as telling me those tubes are only good as radio tubes, i.e., they would be useless for making an amp (not that I would know how to build an amp anyways).
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Strictly from a logical perspective, the components are probably worthless. Odds on anything being of value to anyone with another device looking to "re-tube", or you being able to do anything of consequence with them are slim to none.

When you find an old guitar in your father's cellar, chances of it being one of these are pretty slim, but it shouldn't stop you from asking the question.

For a final answer, take the unit into Munro Electronics some day and ask Thom about it. If nothing else, he'll probably get a cool few minutes of looking at it.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:36 pm

Munro Electronics. Okay, cool, thanks!

I wasn't expecting much. But I would hate to throw something away because I didn't bother to ask only to find out later on it was 1960 Gibson Les Paul!
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Return to Fluid Wireworks