Daking

The New Gear: Maintenance, Repair, and Modification Forum.
----Hosted by Al Benoit

Daking

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:32 am

So Geoff Daking calls me last night and we chat for 15 minutes or so as he tries to guide me through some maintenance we are doing to our Daking preamp/EQ. I gotta say, there are not many gear companies out there where the owner will call you just to make sure everything is going well on a repair. He was super nice and it was a pleasure dealing with him through this.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Daking

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Agreed. The days of that kind of thing being common are sadly gone.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 am

So... Last week I stopped using the Daking for anything where cleanliness is a concern. I don't know if it's some kind of superstition at play, or maybe I just need to spend more time to sort out how to organize the gain staging but I swear that I hear an ever so slight distortion when I try to record vocals through it no matter how I have it set. The fact that there is no metering on it makes me nervous coupled with the fact that I don't know where unity is on the output fader. I'm going to need to run some trails with it to sort out if this is a user issue or a electronic one.

Any technical insight from a build perspective would be appreciated.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am

Start by having a careful look at the specs.
'
A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 am

Alain Benoit wrote:Start by having a careful look at the specs.
'
A.

Took me a while to find the manual online.

http://www.transaudiogroup.com/uploads/images/products/Daking/Manuals/Mic-Pre-EQ-Manual-V1.0-1.pdf

User Manual wrote:1.2 Quick Start Guide
1.2.1 Don’t read the manual!
Most of you will already know how to use mic preamps perfectly well and might be even a little offended at the idea of reading the instruction manual. So don’t read it. This manual is not for you.
This manual is for someone that knows enough to buy the very best (Daking of course!), but doesn’t have a lot of experience using recording gear.
You might be a bass player who just got a DAW and wants a cleaner more accurate sound from your mics in your home studio. You might be a student that just got a check from Mom & Dad and who wants to go buy something nice for yourself.
You might be the guy standing ankle-deep in a pool of salt water, trying to yank the grounding pin off your mixer’s power cord so you can plug it into your 2-prong ungrounded outdoor outlet.
This manual is especially for you!
Whenever you see the Duh! Guy, you can be assured that most professionals will already know this stuff. Be sure to explain this stuff to your friends in a snotty and condescending tone, so you too can be part of the tradition of know-it-all engineers and recordists!

Haha...this thing has a sense of humour.

Unfortunately it doens't get into the technical specifics I'm looking for. Any suggestions on where I can find the specs Alain?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 am

Contact Geoff.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 am

Alain Benoit wrote:Contact Geoff.

A.

You contact Geoff. Not that I don't love talking to that man... but you are the head technician at FAG industries. This falls sqaurely in your job description. :mrgreen:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:20 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Agreed. The days of that kind of thing being common are sadly gone.

I'm actually starting to think that these days are coming back. Most high end companies are small because the big names are losing their reputation. I know I can only name Musical instrument companies (Gibson, Fender,peavey) but I'm sure its that way in the audio world. Now if I bought a diamond Pedal and wanted to know something about it I could probably call diamond and eventually get the guy that designs the pedal to fill me in on what I'm missing.

The exception to this is Seymour Duncan. I called the front desk for a customer one time for a pickup that we couldn't find and I was transferred to the custom shop. A women with a thick New York accent answered and I told her my problem and she said, "we don't have that in right now, but just one second let me ask Seymour." She took her mouth away from the phone and hollered,"Hey Seymour, do we got any firebird bass covers?" I know that if I asked to speak with him I could of. From what I gathered they were the only two working in the shop.
dylanger
Silver Member

Return to Fluid Wireworks