Fender Bassman

The New Gear: Maintenance, Repair, and Modification Forum.
----Hosted by Al Benoit

Fender Bassman

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm sure no one would disagree that the Fender Bassman is a great sounding guitar amp. But like anything vintage, many people question the quality of the new re-issued versions. I wouldn't know I've only heard the re-issued versions. However I came across this take on the Bassman via the internet and I have to ask:

What makes it special? What makes it worth $3k?

"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Fender Bassman

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:40 pm

It looks all hand wired point to point, which certainly does up the cost. Looks like the same speakers, and I would assume it would have to have the same tubes, although maybe they're super esoteric something or others. Al would have a better idea of what would probably contribute to a doubling of price.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Maybe Alain can make us a Bassman next? We'll see hwo the other project goes first...haha.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Bassman we have access to. The next project should be vox-ish in my opinion. It's the only flavor you're missing.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Stand by for post..........................
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Assuming the street price on a current Fender BassmanĀ® is around $1500.

This other one seems to differ only at the preamp board. Let's concede that the cabinet, drivers, tubes, hardware, chassis, knobs, dressing etc. are the same.

My favorite upgrade on this one is that the pots employ flying leads to the eyelet board thus eliminating broken solder joints on the pots.
On componentry they are using Sprague AtomĀ® electrolytic caps which in my opinion are a little overpriced, BC's are just fine. Orange drop film caps are fine. They are using Allen Bradley type carbon composition resistors which the 'tone hounds' prefer, in my opinion you cannot beat a metal film or metal oxide for noise, reliability and tolerance.

The obvious cost upgrade is the associated labor with the hand soldering of a few extra components to the eyelet board.
The not so obvious cost difference is the fact that Fender is paying way less per component than any boutique manufacturer could.

Is this amp a better one, yes it likely is. Is it worth twice the price, depends on if the last 5% is worth $1500 to you.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:17 pm

More on resistors.
Most people I believe think in terms of current handling capabilities of resistors and give no consideration for voltage, basically they are treated like one would a wire, the bigger the wire the more the current can safely run through it. The thing is, resistors are power limited devices, let's say that you have a standard carbon composition 1/4 watt resistor as a plate load. Now lets say that you have 300V applied to it.

.25 / 300 = .00083

You now have a max current carrying capability of .83mA before you start venturing past the design parameters and begin to overheat the devices and hasten it's demise.

Resistors also have a max voltage rating, this spec needs to be looked up as they vary from model to model, typical 1/4 watt carbon comp again is around 300V, I use dale CCF60 type metal film which is a 1 watt in a half watt package rated for 500V. The CFF60's are around $0.052 while the 1/4w carbon ones around $0.032.

Just saying.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby dylanger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:45 pm

You guys should try out the AC15HW that we have at the store, its the upgraded one with the blues instead of the greenbacks. I like it a lot, I A/B it with an AC15 and theres an incredible difference. I tried the Tony Bruno stuff too but its closer to a Marshall tone than a Vox Tone.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 am

Have you been able to compare it with a pre china AC15? I'm assuming the 15HW is still made in China. I found when the started manufacturing overseas the AC15's tone suffered more than the AC30's tone, although both went downhill a bit.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 pm

It was with a china made AC15. I just emailed my rep on where the AC15HW is made, I know that the Tony Bruno is made in New York.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 pm

dylanger wrote:It was with a china made AC15. I just emailed my rep on where the AC15HW is made, I know that the Tony Bruno is made in New York.

We have the AC15 in the studio now, I just need someone to play through it for me.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Fluid Wireworks