Yamaha RM 1608

The New Gear: Maintenance, Repair, and Modification Forum.
----Hosted by Al Benoit

Yamaha RM 1608

Postby Burnsy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:35 am

Hey guys, I was speaking with Andrew, and he suggested I post my question here. I'm posting here about my current setup, and I'm trying to find a solution to it. Basically I have an early 80's Yamaha console (RM 1608.) http://www.manualowl.com/p/Yamaha/RM1608/Manual/87917 I purchased it used, and I love the preamps, which is why I purchased it. What I am trying to do, is get the analogue sound into the digital domain. I can use 16 unbalanced phono plug outs, to capture 16 channels of simultaneous audio. Currently I'm using the 1/4" unbalanced ins on my Line 6 UX8 interface to get 8 channels of audio, using 1/4" TS adapters. I would like to expand to get all 16 channels of audio into Pro Tools. The UX8 is ok, but that's about it. I don't have 3-4 grand to get a crazy AD/DA Converter. My thoughts were of purchasing a couple of firewire interfaces (Motu's) and daisy chaining them together, or buying a USB/Firewire mixer and using the line ins on the mixer to go through USB/Firewire to get the signal to Pro Tools. I was explaining this to Andrew and he suggested I post here in the forum here because some of you may have some interesting solutions I may not have yet considered. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Re: Yamaha RM 1608

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:03 pm

If you're set on keeping the Yamaha desk, finding something compatible with it's direct outs is something of importance. I believe it is a -10 output level so many direct line ins won't work properly as they are setup for a +4 connection.

There are lots of single USB/Firewire devices that will do 16chs in, but not really the way you want and should be looking for. It's funny how, no matter how many boxes there are on the market, a certain something can be rare or missed completely. From what I've seen, they really aren't selling non PCI based boxes set up to interface with analog consoles. I guess they're assuming that if you're going USB/Firewire, you want all the I/O options as opposed to just a proper line interface. What you need is something like a MOTU 24I/O only USB/Firewire.

Hmmmmmm....

Happy Birthday BTW... :-D
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Yamaha RM 1608

Postby Burnsy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks Malcolm, I had a great day, relaxed and chilled, other than the school thing. So that MOTU 24I/O would be ideal, but like you noticed, I'd have to get a new computer for that, which I would love to do, but is not in the budget. I think the daisy chaining firewire would be the way to go, but I'm also looking for a USB/Firewire mixer I could use to record. Something else I've been thinking about, are the specs on the board would have to allow me to return the signal from playback, all the way tho the board so I can do some mixing on it, I like the EQ's. Something I've read about is the ability to use a board's inserts, plugged in at 1 click, to send the signal where it needs to go, and to use the inserts as directs outs as well. I'm thinking I may need to do that because not many boards offer direct outs on each channel. In my case I need them.
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Return to Fluid Wireworks