Egnater Tweaker 15

The New Gear: Maintenance, Repair, and Modification Forum.
----Hosted by Al Benoit

Egnater Tweaker 15

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 am

It's a guitar amp. It would amplify other stuff if you plug that stuff into the input, or the effects return. I did that for a while. I was plugging the output of my Boss GT10 into the effects return. It's sort of like plugging a guitar in.
Al B slapped some fresh 6V6s into Tweaker's holes. Al G plugged his guitar in and some beatiful sounds came out of the speaker cabinet into which the Tweaker was plugged. Al G and his friends took a break from jamming. I snuck into the room and inserted, into the Egnater, the jack cord whose other end was plugged into a guitar which was of a similar shape and orange hue to that of Al G's, yet it sounded entirely different. Hmmm?
Clean headroom? WHAT? Take my wife. Please.
Some people are never satisfied and you don't know what you got 'til it's gone but if you document the proceedings you can remind yourself why you walked away.
But it ain't over...
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Re: Egnater Tweaker 15

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 am

I shouldn't whine- it really is a great little amp, for the price ($500 Canadian). Even though I haven't cracked it open to take a look inside, it seems and feels to be built very solidly. NO PUSH BUTTON SWITCHES. I love that. 2 big boy toggles for power and standby, five mini toggles for tone tweaks. The Vintage/Modern switch is a power amp voicing, vintage being flat, modern adds a low and high boost. I prefer vintage. USA/AC/BRIT are preamp voicings. They have a significant effect. Hot/Clean allows for a huge range of gain adjustment. I dig the frequency centers of the Bright/Normal and Tight/Deep switches. Of course, the Bright switch's effect is diminished with increased gain. Engaging Tight really does clean up the low-end mud (especially if you are using humbuckers), and the loss in low end can easily be compensated for further down the line with the bass knob. Between 0 and 12 o'clock, on the Master Volume, performance is linear. Around 1 o'clock the sweetness kicks in, there is a jump in volume and things get thick and slightly compressed. Beyond that, however, things get hairy, meaning power stage distortion. I can't say for sure, because I really don't have the experience, but I suspect what's happening is primarily phase inverter distortion as opposed to the output tubes distorting. I say this because comparing the amps performance with 6V6s compared to EL34s, said distortion is very similar (of course there is an overall tonal difference), and there is a negligible difference in volume output. I should mention that I recorded the amp's performance with different tubes using a looping unit to ensure consistent conditions.
More later, maybe.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Return to Fluid Wireworks