John Prine Sound Comments

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

John Prine Sound Comments

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 am

From the Telegraph Journal:

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/ ... cle/767434

With years of build-up, we think here in Saint John that we have a gem in the Imperial Theatre. And in a sense we do. However, why do the operators of this fine venue continue to make people who spent large sums for good entertainment suffer in stifling heat?

To sit for hours in this setting doesn't make a high-class act enjoyable. Recently I watched John Prine while I sweated like a pig and I'm sure others had the same problem. They warn people not to use too-strong scents, as theatre-goers sit close to others who may have problems with them. Yet they make us sit and smell the sweat of others all over the theatre.

My wife and I saw John Prine the last time he was here, at Harbour Station, and it was a superior event and much more comfortable. I also found the Imperial's sound system lacking; it seems to be muddled when cranked up, yet wonderful at mid- and lower volumes.

Last summer, we attended the Dutch Mason Blues Festival in Truro and the sound was fantastic, even outside at the race track. Why such a inferior system in a high class building?

I love the Imperial and have since I was a kid in the '50s; however, in this day and age people spending $66.50 for a seat should be able to enjoy the experience in comfort. I can't see attending another production there, at least during the hotter months.

GEORGE SMITH

Saint John

Yes the Imperial has AC... Some of the finest money can buy. There was an issue on that night that I'm aware of, which is probably compounded by the lack of insulation on the stage house during the installation of the new cladding. On hot days like we've been having, imagine how warm your house would be without it's insulation, AC or not.

The biggest thing for me of course is faulting the "Imperial Theatre" for perceived deficiencies in sound quality for an event that is basically a building rental for the facility. The John Prine show was mixed by his own touring people, both monitors and FOH, through 90% their own touring rig making it not Imperial Theatre's sound system that was "lacking", although I've heard from plenty of folks who were there who felt differently about the sound quality. As Roach just said to me the other day, you can't argue an opinion.

Blaming Imperial Theatre for sound issues on something like this is like blaming them for an out of tune guitar, or bad singing.

People need to realize that when they visit a venue for a show, much like how they see many different acts at said venue, they are hearing different "sound systems" and many different operators of those systems. They will not all sound the same to all ears.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Age may also have a factor here. Not to offend any of the older generation here, but if he was a kid in the 50's, he would have to be a minimum of 55 years old. (assuming he was 5 in 1960) More likely he's in the 60+ bracket. Again not saying anything against old people, but human tissue starts getting thinner and more britle at that age, such as the timpanic membrane. Could there be some hearing issues, or maybe just some cranky old man syndrom?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:14 pm

The latter, i'm sure..
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...