BASSic question

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

BASSic question

Postby Greg H. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:41 am

Uh not sure where to post this, now that Oddioguy's forum is all shut away and such buuuttt at Cougar's tonight I broke a bass string (not even the G-string! how unfunny is that?), and I have NEVER bought bass strings in my life, even with my old bass, always used the same strings.

So pretty much my question is, since i want to get some quality out of my money, what are some of the better brands out there to buy from, for durability (I hit hard) and also for tone/sound?

p.s: It's a 5-string
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:21 am

There's quite a few good string sets out there. D'addario is probably the most popular brand along with Ernie Ball. Both manufacture a good quality string. The durability will depend somewhat on the gauge of the strings, heavier in theory, should last a bit longer.

Rotosounds are great strings, but they can be a little hard to find around here.

I've used a couple of sets of Dunlops which I really like. Again a bit hard to find around here. I like that they're not super bright out of the box.

Not a big fan of Fender, Elixir, or GHS bass strings, but a lot of people swear by the Fenders.

It'll probably take a week or so of solid playing for the strings to start to sound normal, and lose some of that out of the box "zing".
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:36 am

Alright, i'll try to find some Dunlops, but if not, i'll get one of the other brands you suggested. Thanks a lot!
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 am

Bass strings, unlike guitar strings which usually break before they get gross, will become tonally disgusting after an extended period of time and use. Don't fool yourself into believing that just because your bass stings don't break, that you don't need to get a new set.

There are ways to prolong the life of a set of strings, and even bring some life back into them for a short time, including boiling them. I bet Scott D has tried most of them over the years. Cleaning your instrument after playing is a big one.

If you're not playing anywhere that you are super concerned about your tone, new strings aren't your worry. If you don't like the sound of "new" bass strings, you probably haven't found the right type of string for your taste.

Many times, with lesser experienced bass players, it's had to be enforced that they restring their instruments when coming in to a session. When money is a concern, I've seen entire bands pony up and buy their bass player a setup. It really is a huge part of what will give you a great sound, and help big time with tuning.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm

It's a bass fer cryin' out loud, just stick whatever on there... Don't put too much thought into it.

These outta do it.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 pm

This coming from a guy who hits things for a living.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Basslaces.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:09 pm

macrae11 wrote:This coming from a guy who hits things for a living.

You like it when I smack things.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes I do.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:50 pm

L&M sells 4 string sets for <$20. I'm guessing a 5 string set might be around 25-30% of $ + to that.
Greg, do you play your bass with a plectrum?
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby RoadDog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:49 pm

That guy said plectrum...
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Greg H. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Scott DeVarenne wrote:L&M sells 4 string sets for <$20. I'm guessing a 5 string set might be around 25-30% of $ + to that.
Greg, do you play your bass with a plectrum?

That's a much better price than i've seen before, thanks a lot.

And in response to the second question: only if i'm playing punk, which is close to never
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Greg H. wrote:close to never

Try half-rounds. Every bass player must give them a go, just to see. But I don't like them with pick.
You could even try flats. Ooo, flats. You know what?... Go to music store and see if any of the basses are strung with
these strings, so you can sort of see what they feel like. Yes.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Oh, yeah, I doubt the no-name strings are available in half or flat. But maybe.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Greg H. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Scott DeVarenne wrote:Oh, yeah, I doubt the no-name strings are available in half or flat. But maybe.

I'll check around the different stores, see what i can dig up, thanks!
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Greg H. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:23 pm

So i stopped into musicstop today, and lo and behold i found myself a nice set of rotosounds. I have yet to put them on, though, so keeping my fingers crossed for that good bass sound
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby adam » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:21 pm

After 10 years of using EBs I just made the switch first to D'addario and then to Rotosound. I've also switched allegiance to Rotos for acoustic & electric guitar strings (although this is much more tentative than the bass thing, which I have thrown myself into 100%).

Anyway.

GHS strings are a fate I would wish only on my worst bass-enemy (let's say Geddy Lee).
D'addario I have no beef with, although I dig Ernie Balls more.
Rotosounds are the most balanced-sounding strings to my ear. I have yet to really break in/wear out a set (I change my bass strings probably once every 6-7 months).
adam

Postby Greg H. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Yeah, i use EB for my electric, and I'm just in the process of trying Martin for my acoustic.

Hahaha, Geddy Lee, what a guy. I gotta say his singing is an acquired taste, but I like his bass style. Very Melodic in some songs.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Jef » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Greg H. wrote: ...I'm just in the process of trying Martin for my acoustic.

Have you ever tried Elixers on an acoustic guitar? I switched a couple years ago and never looked back. Right out of the box they sound great, like already broke-in. They don't have that "edgy new string sound". And because of the coating, they last a lot longer and keep a consistent tone for duration.
...never much cared for Martin strings. They make great guitars but I find their strings don't last very long and they break easy.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Greg H. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:06 am

Jef wrote:

Have you ever tried Elixers on an acoustic guitar? I switched a couple years ago and never looked back. Right out of the box they sound great, like already broke-in. They don't have that "edgy new string sound". And because of the coating, they last a lot longer and keep a consistent tone for duration.
...never much cared for Martin strings. They make great guitars but I find their strings don't last very long and they break easy.

I think my last set on my acoustic were Elixers, which i really enjoyed, but i figured i would try something new. Your right about the Martins, I hated the out of the box sound and they're just average sounding at best.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 am

adam wrote:
GHS strings are a fate I would wish only on my worst bass-enemy (let's say Geddy Lee)..
+10
adam wrote:D'addario I have no beef with, although I dig Ernie Balls more.
Rotosounds are the most balanced-sounding strings to my ear. I have yet to really break in/wear out a set (I change my bass strings probably once every 6-7 months).

+1
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:52 am

Jef wrote:

I hate Martin's on acoustic guitar. They go dead so fast, and don't sound great in the first place. When I used to work in guitar shops, we'd usually change all the high end Martin's over to D'addarios within the first month of them being in the store.

The D'addario coated strings are a nice option to the Elixir's as well. They feel and sound a little more natural, although they don't last quite as long.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:18 pm

I just put the strings on my bass, and i gotta say, 100% improvment in sound, and they haven't even been broken in yet! I already recorded a take with them for Fake Plastic Trees (radiohead). Thanks for the references guys!
Greg H.
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...