Anybody ever record with one of these ?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Anybody ever record with one of these ?

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Mr. Fudge (a good friend and muzak partner) is planning on buying one of these for his Bloomfield home studio/jamspot... I think it'll make for an interesting fall/winter for us lads to make muzak. 8-)

Because of the limited amount of tracks... and for those who might be fans of the Johns type production... I told Fudge that he should brush up on the 3 mic recording technique for drums.

Any thoughts ?

Also, this Tascam 8 track is a 1/2" machine.

"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:25 pm

Three mics?
Kick and MS overhead. The M pointed directly at the snare. Then adjust the heigh of the overheads to change the amount of room tone desired.

Thats my $0.02
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:15 pm

macrae11 wrote:Three mics?
Kick and MS overhead

not quite, but close...

Here's an informative link of the Glynn Johns 3 mic thingy... I tried it once with a decent drummer behind the kit and it turned out great for that style of music.

http://www.mercenary.com/3micdrumstuf.html
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Thanks. Very interesting and informative.

You guys ever read a post, but not really read a post? Like miss a whole sentence, post and then realize that the response didn't really have anything to do with the original.

I suppose i could delete it, but then others wouldn't learn from my foolishness
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby weatherstation audio » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:44 pm

macrae11 wrote:You guys ever read a post, but not really read a post? Like miss a whole sentence, post and then realize that the response didn't really have anything to do with the original.

Hey, I do this in real life conversation all time !
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby oddioguy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:14 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:
macrae11 wrote:You guys ever read a post, but not really read a post? Like miss a whole sentence, post and then realize that the response didn't really have anything to do with the original.

Hey, I do this in real life conversation all time !

Too bad....she made good doughnuts.

......D'OH!! ;-)
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby sammyp » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:42 pm

A band i was in back in the early 90s released a cassette using one of those machines - it does not sound good..... although i wouldn't neccessarilly blame the machine. Still, i don't have a flare for that kind of vintage thang, i'll stick with the modern DAW.
What would be kinda fun with one of those rigs, would be to see what kind of warmth you could achieve mastering digital to the tape. You have to find some decent outboard comp/eq gear. but tracking/mixing on one....ican't imagine it.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:13 pm

sammyp wrote:A band i was in back in the early 90s released a cassette using one of those machines - it does not sound good..... although i wouldn't neccessarilly blame the machine. Still, i don't have a flare for that kind of vintage thang, i'll stick with the modern DAW.
What would be kinda fun with one of those rigs, would be to see what kind of warmth you could achieve mastering digital to the tape. You have to find some decent outboard comp/eq gear. but tracking/mixing on one....ican't imagine it.

After putting up some of the tape supplied from the machine's previous owner, and running a few tests of playback and recording etc... they must've have used some decent mics and preamps etc... the analog vibe is very much alive in this machine, drums, guitars, bass etc... sound fantastic... and plenty of headroom to slam signal to the tape... I don't think we'll be needing any nosie reduction... as long as I calibrate the machine properly to the 456 graded tape, it looks very promising... some good mics positioned well with decent front end mic pres, and we'll be off to the races.

currently we have an 8 channel Tascam MA-8 preamp unit (with upgraded Burr Brown op-amps) at the spot to track with, and I'm workin' on re-cappin' an older Peavey console to monitor playback with.

Once we fill all all 8 tracks on a given project, we'll dump over to a DAW for extra tracks etc... 8-)
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby sammyp » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:34 pm

sammyp wrote:A band i was in back in the early 90s released a cassette using one of those machines - it does not sound good..... although i wouldn't neccessarilly blame the machine. Still, i don't have a flare for that kind of vintage thang, i'll stick with the modern DAW.

After putting up some of the tape supplied from the machine's previous owner, and running a few tests of playback and recording etc... they must've have used some decent mics and preamps etc... the analog vibe is very much alive in this machine, drums, guitars, bass etc... sound fantastic... and plenty of headroom to slam signal to the tape... I don't think we'll be needing any nosie reduction... as long as I calibrate the machine properly to the 456 graded tape, it looks very promising... some good mics positioned well with decent front end mic pres, and we'll be off to the races.

currently we have an 8 channel Tascam MA-8 preamp unit (with upgraded Burr Brown op-amps) at the spot to track with, and I'm workin' on re-cappin' an older Peavey console to monitor playback with.

Once we fill all all 8 tracks on a given project, we'll dump over to a DAW for extra tracks etc... 8-)

Cool, that'll work. Alot of the problems we encountered back in da day would be due to enginner inexperience more than anything.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby sammyp » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh yeah, i meant to ask, would Mr. Fudge be aka Chris?
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby weatherstation audio » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:50 pm

sammyp wrote:Oh yeah, i meant to ask, would Mr. Fudge be aka Chris?

Bingo !
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby sammyp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:40 pm

sammyp wrote:Oh yeah, i meant to ask, would Mr. Fudge be aka Chris?

Bingo !

say hello for me, i haven't seen him in a couple years sinse he was a hugga dude!
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby gsa » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:24 am

the first silver mt. zion record was recorded on one of these, as was the self-titled hangedup record (the same machine, in fact), so they are certainly capable of making a good sounding recording.

I also own one, and can tell you that Tascam still carries most of the vital guts & accessories of this machine, incl. the manual and capstan belt (will need replaced at some point).
gsa

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:01 am

welcome to the forum GSA...

Well well... This machine's 8th track decided to quit on us and the PCB card is on the work bench... so in the mean time, it's a 7 track.. but the tape still rolls... here are the results of a intial demo recording done with a couple of audio technica condendser mics and some 60's Scully mic preamps.

click on 'A Gift from Perseus'
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =115663870
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby gsa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:00 am

I just finally got my 38 hooked back up. I love that thing. Even having not been aligned for quite a while it has a really nice sound to it. I've always heard people say that you need the NR units that go with it, but I find the hiss kind of soothing, and not too noticable at all if you get your levels right to tape.

The bad news: channel 6 of my 8-track inline board is FUBAR..
gsa

Postby weatherstation audio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:22 pm

OK,
so makin' music with friends is the name of the game here, and we've been doin' it bad ass old school with the reel to reel... so far so good.

check out the new track 'Perseus Demo'

http://www.myspace.com/primrosehil

here's some pics, enjoy:

shots from mid summer/July 2006

shots from last month/Nov 2006

Last edited by weatherstation audio on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby weatherstation audio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:23 pm

Malcolm,
where's the edit button ? :-(
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:48 am

weatherstation audio wrote:Malcolm,
where's the edit button ? :-(