52Weeks Song Project - looking for criticism!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby clinton » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:32 pm

the way the vocals approach the chord change in 19 is awkward but forgivable since the first verse is so strong. Also "Disposophobic"?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Sir, 07 is great!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:55 pm

One of the neat things about this thread right now are the responses to specific "numbers". I was just grabbing at tunes in a random way, and now it's making me wanna go back and check out some of the songs that Clinton is talking about.

Cool.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:One of the neat things about this thread right now are the responses to specific "numbers". I was just grabbing at tunes in a random way, and now it's making me wanna go back and check out some of the songs that Clinton is talking about.

Cool.

Haha...yeah me too.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:40 am

For the most part, I knew what songs were being talked about. I'll admit that I had to look up 27 and 28 again, though :-) I miss Billy Mays (no ironic humour intended).

"Disposophobic" - I love arcane, clunky words that mean simple things. Xanthic - yellowish. Tonsurphobia - fear of getting your hair cut. In this case, fear of throwing stuff out; it's the first time I hit wikipedia to try and add something more to my lyrics. I then tried that process again two weeks later for the Hyperion song (21). Looking back on my blog entries, it's weird how I'll seem so embarassed by an offering at the time, but then like it a lot more later (08, 21, 23). The opposite happens sometimes, too.

Definitely appreciating the supportive comments on here; again, you guys are really generous. If anyone's holding back just because others are being nice, or you don't want to discourage me: feel free.

Also, Clinton: there's still a few awfully rushed bits on here. I don't like to draw attention to them, but 38 is one that I didn't like when I posted it, and dislike it even more as time goes by :P
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:I have a computer with 256 MB RAM, 1.4 GHz processor, running Cubase VST/32 5.0. I also have a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum soundcard/interface, with inputs for 1/4", as well as rca cables in stereo.

My microphone's a "Realistic Cardioid Dynamic Microphone," 33-1071.
How are you getting the mic into the SoundBlaster card?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 pm

It's got a 1/4" plug
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:It's got a 1/4" plug
Ahhhhh.... Things are becoming even clearer.

You need to treat yourself to a new interface and new vocal mic. Something as simple as this would do wonders to your vocal tracks.

The good news is, you can only go up from what you're using right now.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 am

From a Harmony Central article, for anyone playing along at home:
http://www.harmony-central.com/articles ... nbalanced/

"In a small studio or onstage setup with relatively short cable runs, unbalanced connections work just fine — although you'll still probably want to use balanced connections for your mics...Where balanced lines shine is in situations with long cable runs, especially ones carrying low signal levels that are subject to noise or interference."

It goes on to talk about how balanced lines reduce hum and noise. Hunh! So that's why there's all this 'mud' with my vocal tracks, then; unbalanced signal.

Now, as a cheapskate, let me ask this (Malcolm, let me know if this warrants being asked in a separate thread) - what about cables like the LightSnake, or Alesis MicLink, where an XLR mike plugs into one end, and the other end is a usb plug that goes into the computer? Anyone here have experience with these? They go for about $40 US, methinks, from what I've looked up.

Man, I'm learning a lot at these here forums!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:It goes on to talk about how balanced lines reduce hum and noise. Hunh! So that's why there's all this 'mud' with my vocal tracks, then; unbalanced signal.

You can still run a balanced line with TRS 1/4" but the problem may simply be that since your mic probably has the cable hard-wired to it and is probably unbalanced, I don't think that any amount of XLR connectors may help you.

Christian LeBlanc wrote:Now, as a cheapskate, let me ask this (Malcolm, let me know if this warrants being asked in a separate thread) - what about cables like the LightSnake, or Alesis MicLink, where an XLR mike plugs into one end, and the other end is a usb plug that goes into the computer? Anyone here have experience with these? They go for about $40 US, methinks, from what I've looked up.

The converters that you'd find in a $40 XLR to USB cable may be less than stellar. But I could be wrong...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:
It goes on to talk about how balanced lines reduce hum and noise. Hunh! So that's why there's all this 'mud' with my vocal tracks, then; unbalanced signal.

Now, as a cheapskate, let me ask this (Malcolm, let me know if this warrants being asked in a separate thread) - what about cables like the LightSnake, or Alesis MicLink, where an XLR mike plugs into one end, and the other end is a usb plug that goes into the computer? Anyone here have experience with these? They go for about $40 US, methinks, from what I've looked up.

It's not simply a matter of balanced vs unbalanced, although that is certainly part of the equation. Without hearing the mic in question, I would have to think it would be a marginal upgrade at best. Going with something like Malcolm suggested, the Fast Track, and any decent quality mic would be a much better starting point. Even a SM58 would be an adequate quality mic. Hey if it's good enough for Bono right? I realize that this would cost a bit more, but I think you would be better off spending $300ish dollars and getting something of value that you could sell if need be, and would be easy to upgrade, than wasting $40-$50 that isn't really going to get you anywhere.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 pm

macrae11 wrote:It's not simply a matter of balanced vs unbalanced, although that is certainly part of the equation. Without hearing the mic in question, I would have to think it would be a marginal upgrade at best. Going with something like Malcolm suggested, the Fast Track, and any decent quality mic would be a much better starting point. Even a SM58 would be an adequate quality mic. Hey if it's good enough for Bono right? I realize that this would cost a bit more, but I think you would be better off spending $300ish dollars and getting something of value that you could sell if need be, and would be easy to upgrade, than wasting $40-$50 that isn't really going to get you anywhere.

+1
(except for that bit about Bono. Andrew isn't allowed to make this about U2)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I realize that this would cost a bit more, but I think you would be better off spending $300ish dollars and getting something of value that you could sell if need be, and would be easy to upgrade, than wasting $40-$50 that isn't really going to get you anywhere.

Agreed.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Buy a used SM58/57 and then you will have a microphone that doubles as a hammer. Then buy this because it works pretty well and can also double as a hammer.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:+1
(except for that bit about Bono. Andrew isn't allowed to make this about U2)

Hey it was just a point of reference. It was used in his "sound's like" section, so I thought it was relevant. When are you fleeing the country again, so I don't have to deal with your incessant whining? :twisted: :mrgreen:
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:08 pm

macrae11 wrote: When are you fleeing the country again, so I don't have to deal with your incessant whining? :twisted: :mrgreen:

They have the internet over there too ya know... I'm going to Asia, not the year 1986.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:09 pm

I think garageband automatically defaults to U2 for 'sounds like' if you don't put anything in. One time someone told me they could definitely hear the U2 influence, and I had no idea what they were talking about :)

And sadly (for my wallet), I agree with the 'get what you pay for' stance. I'm automatically suspicious of a $40 cheap setup; a little more research and I'm good! Thanks, lads!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Most important question, since Alain isn't posting on here anymore: What's yer budget? Can you swing around $300 to get yourself started?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
macrae11 wrote: When are you fleeing the country again, so I don't have to deal with your incessant whining? :twisted: :mrgreen:

They have the internet over there too ya know... I'm going to Asia, not the year 1986.

Yeah but knowing you're on the other side of the planet, just gives me some comfort. :lol:

Seriously though, I hope I don't have any sessions that pop up in December.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:I think garageband automatically defaults to U2 for 'sounds like' if you don't put anything in. One time someone told me they could definitely hear the U2 influence, and I had no idea what they were talking about :)

Hmmm I wonder what that says about U2?

I honestly didn't hear any of the "John Mayer" or "U2" influences in your songs, but I just figured that it came out more in early songs and now you were experimenting some more.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:32 pm

John Mayer, that was the other default one. Serves me right for being lazy and not filling it in :) "Sounds like" should just read "everything I do is an attempt at ripping off The Cure in some degree," ha ha.

Although I can hear a huge Cure influence in some of his stuff, too (...the missus listens to it sometimes! Honest!...ok, sometimes I listen along, too) :)

Hmmm I wonder what that says about U2?

Maybe they just meant they could tell that I was earnestly trying to sound 'good.' :)

Budget: I could swing around $300, it's just a matter of whether the hobby is worth it to me at this point, especially as there's only 6 more songs left in my project. I'm guessing I'll be a miser and wait until my next tax refund, when I can justify it better ("It's like, free money! So I'm not really spending anything!"). I'm not rich, but I'm not hurting, either. Plus, by then, I'll have put some more research into it.

I do plan on recording 'good copies' of lots of material that I've written since 1998 or so, with the knowledge I've gleaned from this year. So I will need a proper mic setup to do the vocals the best justice I can manage. So I will be getting around to it, it's not just an idle 'yeah, whatever.' :)

Oh yeah! Almost forgot to ask: I went home at lunch and remembered that I have a keyboard amp that has an XLR mic input on it. Is there any point at all to singing into that with a balanced mic, and running a 1/4" line out from the amp into my soundcard? Or will it only sound 'proper' (balanced, hum and noise minimized) coming straight out of the amp - that is, the 1/4" extension just packs all that 'mud' right back on? (which I'm guessing is the case, since, really, the signal would no longer be balanced...just thinking out loud!)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:
Budget: I could swing around $300, it's just a matter of whether the hobby is worth it to me at this point, especially as there's only 6 more songs left in my project. I'm guessing I'll be a miser and wait until my next tax refund, when I can justify it better ("It's like, free money! So I'm not really spending anything!"). I'm not rich, but I'm not hurting, either. Plus, by then, I'll have put some more research into it.

I do plan on recording 'good copies' of lots of material that I've written since 1998 or so, with the knowledge I've gleaned from this year. So I will need a proper mic setup to do the vocals the best justice I can manage. So I will be getting around to it, it's not just an idle 'yeah, whatever.' :)

I'd say finish your 52 weeks. then get some new gear and take 6 of your favorites, or maybe have us vote on the ones we want you to do and redo do them based on what you're learning here and new gear.

Christian LeBlanc wrote:Oh yeah! Almost forgot to ask: I went home at lunch and remembered that I have a keyboard amp that has an XLR mic input on it. Is there any point at all to singing into that with a balanced mic, and running a 1/4" line out from the amp into my soundcard? Or will it only sound 'proper' (balanced, hum and noise minimized) coming straight out of the amp - that is, the 1/4" extension just packs all that 'mud' right back on? (which I'm guessing is the case, since, really, the signal would no longer be balanced...just thinking out loud!)

The balanced vs. unbalanced issue in this case is just one of several dozen issues so I wouldn't complicate things by adding yet another source of noise.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Back to TRS's for a second:

I found this online, which seems pretty cool:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMIC100
"Behringer MIC100 Tube Ultragain Microphone Preamp with Limiter"

It has TRS/XLR in, as well as TRS/XLR out. Which means that if nothing else, I can use this as a DI for a synth onstage.

My question (which I tried looking up online first before bugging y'all) - will any 1/4" input (such as the one on my soundcard) properly accept a balanced TRS signal, giving you the benefits of reduced noise & hum? If so, I'm thinking that this device, coupled with a new mic, could work well for my purposes (especially considering its secondary use as a DI).

I'm not trying to 'cheap out' or ignore anyone's good advice, just exploring options right now.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:
Oh yeah! Almost forgot to ask: I went home at lunch and remembered that I have a keyboard amp that has an XLR mic input on it. Is there any point at all to singing into that with a balanced mic, and running a 1/4" line out from the amp into my soundcard? Or will it only sound 'proper' (balanced, hum and noise minimized) coming straight out of the amp - that is, the 1/4" extension just packs all that 'mud' right back on? (which I'm guessing is the case, since, really, the signal would no longer be balanced...just thinking out loud!)

That actually might not be a bad idea, at least you would be patching in unbalanced line level signal as opposed to unbalanced mic level signal. Only one way to find out if it works better! Let us know.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:My question (which I tried looking up online first before bugging y'all) - will any 1/4" input (such as the one on my soundcard) properly accept a balanced TRS signal, giving you the benefits of reduced noise & hum? If so, I'm thinking that this device, coupled with a new mic, could work well for my purposes (especially considering its secondary use as a DI).

Unfortunately no not all 1/4" jacks will accept a balanced signal. Many are a TS connector with only two conductors, while you need three for a balanced signal.(Not that this guarantees a balanced signal) Do you have the specs for your sound card?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...