New Topic from the old... Film Scoring a-la MatB

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

New Topic from the old... Film Scoring a-la MatB

Postby macrae11 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:02 pm

......I heard a couple of films you scored this weekend at the Silver Wave Film Fest, good job. I especially liked Japan.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:22 pm

macrae11 wrote:On another note, I heard a couple of films you scored this weekend at the Silver Wave Film Fest, good job. I especially liked Japan.
I just caught this too. Too bad about the spelling of your name. :oops:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 pm

macrae11 wrote:Come on now Matt. We all know you don't have a real job, and all you have to do all day is post on the internet.

On another note, I heard a couple of films you scored this weekend at the Silver Wave Film Fest, good job. I especially liked Japan.

The Japan score was a personal favorite of mine, but you should hear the original before the director had me make some changes to suit his vision. I did that score in one night actually and I used a piece that I wrote for Melting Lands as a starting point.

What other ones did you see?

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I just caught this too. Too bad about the spelling of your name. Embarassed

Actually, I accept either Mat or Mathieu in the credits though I should probably pick one and just go with that. People used to mess up Jon's last name a lot though and that would piss him off. Oddly enough I've never had many troubles with my name.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Dead to the World 2. Not as good of a film as Japan. Or anything Hemmings House has ever done.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:21 pm

macrae11 wrote:Dead to the World 2. Not as good of a film as Japan. Or anything Hemmings House has ever done.

Ah yeah... I did that about 18 months ago, It was fun for me because it was my first time trying to really apply myself to make the score sound as much like every other TV show that I could think of. You probably heard a lot of influences in there, but I had a couple of my own things too that were me not trying to emulate anything either.

As for the "show", the story line is actually pretty interesting, the acting is stiff though and takes away from the overall show. I was pretty happy with the music though. But you know, it's just like a mix of a song (we had discussed this last week at Outreach), there are 100 things I'd change if I could but I've learned to just leave it and try harder next time.

The Japan film was actually done on a Nikon D90 (same Digital XLR that Sub has) and was done by Mark Hemmings. It was Mark's first attempt at film making and I thought it was a really great short film.

In fairness to Realm Productions Coalition, HHP has been at this for a while and they don't usually have to work with actors, much less bad actors. RPC is fairly new and if you saw the first DTTW episode the dramatic improvement of overall quality would make your head explode. I'm actually very interested in seeing what they do next.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 am

Perhaps if I'd seen DTTW 1 it would have made much more sense to me. As it was the story line was totally disjointed, and mostly incomprehensible. The acting, you come to expect on these types of productions, but the plot was so vague, it was difficult to follow. I don't think short films really work in the action genre. Maybe if it becomes a serial type of production it might work, but again then you have to see every episode.

I didn't realize that Japan was Mark's first film, kudos to him for that. I've never actually met Mark, but I'm sure if he's anything like Greg, I'd like him a lot.

Dark Radius actually won the best score award, at the festival this weekend. It sounded like your score for DTTW2, but way overdone, like they were trying to hit you over the head with every accent. I actually preferred your score, even before I knew that it was you who'd done it. Not that that would make me biased or anything.

Could we be any more off topic in this thread? Maybe we should split this thread and create a new one about film scoring?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am

By the way, you still need to send me your demo reel sometime.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

macrae11 wrote:Perhaps if I'd seen DTTW 1 it would have made much more sense to me. As it was the story line was totally disjointed, and mostly incomprehensible. The acting, you come to expect on these types of productions, but the plot was so vague, it was difficult to follow. I don't think short films really work in the action genre. Maybe if it becomes a serial type of production it might work, but again then you have to see every episode.

It was actually supposed to be a web series funded by CBC. It's not supposed to stand alone, it's nto a short film at all.

macrae11 wrote:I didn't realize that Japan was Mark's first film, kudos to him for that. I've never actually met Mark, but I'm sure if he's anything like Greg, I'd like him a lot.

You'd like Mark, he's every bit as likeable as Greg.

macrae11 wrote:Dark Radius actually won the best score award, at the festival this weekend. It sounded like your score for DTTW2, but way overdone, like they were trying to hit you over the head with every accent.

It's like drumming to me, I do my job the best when you barely notice me, you just notice the effect I have on the presentation. As a drummer I'm there to support the singer, as a composer I'm there to support the the film, I'm not supposed to stand out.

macrae11 wrote:Could we be any more off topic in this thread? Maybe we should split this thread and create a new one about film scoring?

Magic! Besides I've always wanted to do a thread about scoring.

EDIT: That could be taken a couple of different ways...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:It was actually supposed to be a web series funded by CBC. It's not supposed to stand alone, it's nto a short film at all.

Ah this makes much more sense now.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Magic! Besides I've always wanted to do a thread about scoring.

Yes... like basketball scoring! Right?!
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Greg H. wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Magic! Besides I've always wanted to do a thread about scoring.

Yes... like basketball scoring! Right?!

That and to borrow a term from Gamblor on GC... Plowing.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm

So Matt... Where would you place composing for film in your list of music related escapades as far as what you like working on?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:53 pm

Pretty much at the top. It's a creative outlet where I get to work alone without having to deal with too many other people. I like composing things more than playing them most of the time.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:25 pm

macrae11 wrote:By the way, you still need to send me your demo reel sometime.

I'm in the process of uploading everything I have to the server. The demo reel includes 16 pieces that are some favorites of mine. The folders should all be self explanatory.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: New Topic from the old... Film Scoring a-la MatB

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:54 am

macrae11 wrote: I especially liked Japan.

Here's my original draft of that score. Obviously some changes have been made before final print.

Japan_score (draft)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 am

macrae11 wrote:Perhaps if I'd seen DTTW 1 it would have made much more sense to me. As it was the story line was totally disjointed, and mostly incomprehensible. The acting, you come to expect on these types of productions, but the plot was so vague, it was difficult to follow. I don't think short films really work in the action genre. Maybe if it becomes a serial type of production it might work, but again then you have to see every episode.

http://www.cbc.ca/download/

Go to February 5th and click on Dead to the World 2. Second time I've been on CBC's website... not too bad.

Also Check out "Golden Age" from the same date. The music is composed by Darren Fung and I think it's absolutely brilliant, I love his work. You see this is why I need to stop working and go study classical composition for a few years.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...