500 series lunch box and modules

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

500 series lunch box and modules

Postby Tim Davidson » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Anyone had experience with the API 500 lunch box sytem? The ability to choose a variety of brands all tied to one power supply has a lot of appeal. Any favorite modules? Any advice on the pros and cons of 500 series versus rack mounts units?
Tim Davidson

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:32 pm

I love the lunch box concept. I plan on getting a portable one that I can carry around, we have a rack mount "lunch box" and it's far too empty. I'd love to fill it to the gills with API 512c preamps. But then again there are so many great units available in the 500 format too. Here are some examples.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:34 pm

I forgot that I made a thread about this way back...

http://forums.middleaudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=806
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:53 am

I am so not enough of a gear slut to hang with you guys. :oops:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:37 am

Tim, good to see you on here. The other thread that Matt pointed too, is a pretty good representation of my thoughts, which haven't changed a whole lot, as I haven't kept up with the changing styles in the 500 series.

If you're thinking of going rackmount, get the Brent Avril rack, as it's got 11 spaces as opposed to 10 for about the same amount of money. If you're just going 6, either the API, or Avril rack are fine. The big advantage obviously of the 500 rack system is convenience and size. Being able to pack a lot of channels into a fairly small space is great, particularly if you’re doing any location stuff.
The only real downside that I’ve heard is that some people feel there may be too much strain on the power supply for certain designs to work properly. That’s why you don’t see much tube gear in 500 format, and also I think why you’ll hear people say the 500 version sounds different than rack versions of the same gear. If you stick with stuff that’s been properly designed for 500 operation then I think you’ll be fine. For example all the API stuff has been built from the ground up for this kind of design. The Buzz stuff is great, although I haven’t heard the 500 series versions. As much as I love the Great River, I wouldn’t get their 500 series pre. It takes up two spaces and for only a couple hundred more you can get an ME-1NV.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Tim Davidson » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 pm

macrae11 wrote:As much as I love the Great River, I wouldn’t get their 500 series pre. It takes up two spaces and for only a couple hundred more you can get an ME-1NV.

But partly it's the Great Rivers that attract me! And the 512c, and the Grace Design, and the...
Tim Davidson

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 am

Yeah that's the great thing about the 500 series, there's just so many options. I thought you had picked up the MP-2MH Tim? Or is that someone else entirely that I'm thinking of? Either way, I can't picture having only one channel of GR, and taking up 4 500 slots just isn't a good use of space. I'd get 4 API's and rackmount Great River. Holy great drum sounds Batman! The GR is my personal all time favourite on overheads.

I didn't know Grace had put out a 500 series modules. If you're looking for something clean, but with some mojo, be sure to check out the Buzz stuff. Absolutely delicious on anything with a fast attack. Acoustic guitar's are brilliant on them.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Tim Davidson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:56 am

I don't have an MP-2MH but it is on the top of the list. Or it's 500 series equivelent. I just need to go rob that bank.
Tim Davidson

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm

They don't make the MP-2MH anymore. That was the older cleaner version. They only make the "NV" models now, which are like Neve's only "better".

The 500 series is a great way to build up pieces slowly, without breaking the bank all at once.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...