Pre-roll, post-roll... Tops & tails...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Pre-roll, post-roll... Tops & tails...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:08 pm

So I spent the better part of the last week mixing tracks for a forthcoming album recorded at another facility. It was recorded in ProTools, and tracks were consolidated and passed to me as waves to be imported into Sonar. Upon playback, I realized that sample one, or the beginning of the tracks was beat one; bar one of the songs.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, and not from only one recordist/facility. In the days of linear storage, see "tape", this was never a problem. Now it's happening all the time.

All kinds of stuff happens BEFORE beat one...! If everyone played their instruments like a sequencer, this would not be a problem, but people are not robots!

For folks tracking to MIDI, leave at least one bar of count in at the top, and for folks not tracking to clicks, at least two seconds before beat one. This will help avoid clipping off the beginning of your guitar, piano, bass... well, you get the idea.

The same goes for tails, or the end of tracks. If you let things sustain about twice as long as you think you'll need, it'll probably be about right. I can't tell you how hard it is to make a nice sexy ending when the bass mutes about half way down the fade vs. everything else. I think this was one of the first things I learned in the studio years ago... When you hit that last note... HOLD IT! Folks tracking in DAWs are now second guessing the end lengths, and cutting off chords, etc. that were held by the players... :-x

Hard drive space is cheap! You can afford the extra seconds...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:26 am

Sigh... it's a cut and paste hell.
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:39 am

weatherstation audio wrote:Sigh... it's a cut and paste hell.
... and time stretch.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...