M audio usb interface

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

M audio usb interface

Postby dylanger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:36 pm

I 'm looking at buying an interface for my computer so I'm not limited to the 6 tracks that my BR600 provides. HAs anybody used this product, what do you think and should I be getting firewire instead?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/F ... tra8R.html
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:31 pm

I haven't used this product as it's fairly new, but I have used the Fast Track and Fast Track Pro. Both were very good band for the buck interfaces. This unit looks pretty decent, and the Octane preamps are the best preamps from M-Audio, although that's not saying much. Personally I would far rather going with an interface with either FW or PCI(*) interfaces.

Just to be thorough, what's your budget, how much I/O do you actually need, what computer will you be using it with, and what software will you be using it with primarily?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 pm

I want one that has 8 channels so I can record drums. I'm going to use it on a imac intel core 2 dual 3.06. I don't know a lot about recording gear. I've really enjoyed recording with my BR600 but the only way I can record drums is if i go off a mixer and then i have no control once they've been recorded. I'm not totally decided on a program yet but I think I'm just going to get the new apple logic pro 7. If anyone has any sugestions let me know. Is M-audio not a good product?
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:24 pm

M-Audio is decent stuff, but I've had some driver issues in the past. I think they've sorted most of it out on newer products, but again, I haven't used this one in particular.

If you're thinking Logic, this is the business. It's more than triple the price of the M-Audio, and only has 4 preamps, but is well worth it.

If you're looking for something in the -$1000 range, this would probably be a better bet. It's FireWire, and much more expandable than the Fast Track, and it's less than $200 more.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Another option in the same range is the MOTU 8Pre
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby dylanger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Ya I was looking at the m-audio with the firewire one. Say if I wanted to record a live jam where I have more than 8 microphones in use can you use to interfaces at once so you can have 16 channels.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby dylanger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:20 pm

actually I don't need that questioned answered. The motu does that
dylanger
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...