Your Input Here please.....

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:11 am

Cubical wrote:...Consequently, I discovered that all wired headsets require a fantom power source. **COULD SOMEONE PLEASE VERIFY THIS PIECE OF INFORMATION**
They do not. Condenser mics require phantom. Dynamic headset mics do not require phantom. I would assume condenser mics would be pretty problematic VS dynamics for the kind of abuse a mic would get beatboxing.
Cubical wrote:I also feel that I need a microphone with a long boom, something that places the microphone directly in front of my mouth to get the best "area of attack" as someone so neatly summed it. The mic I have now does not reach far enough, but works just the same.
That is one of the design qualities I had in mind when I mentioned that they help avoid the type of interaction you would want for beatboxing. Many are impossible to place in front of your mouth.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 am

Cubical wrote:***What is the difference in "pickups"? (EX: "The CROWN CM 311A contains a cardioid pickup". "The Sennheiser MD 421 offers a Full-bodied cardioid pattern"). What is this? Is there differences I should look for that might give me more indication of the overall quality of the microphone concerning this specification?
I meant to answer this earlier.

"Cardioid" is a type of polar pattern. Transducers, both mics and speakers have them. Here is a basic description of some of the common types:

http://www.burninggrooves.com/articles/ ... -explained

You can read as much as you want here.

Polar patterns not only affect the directionality of the mic, but how the frequency response reacts with respect to proximity and direction. This is a factor that makes frequency response not as black and white as some would think.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 am

Cubical wrote:...LOVE the 421!!

So does Eddy
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Cubical » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:54 am

So does Eddy

Oh God! And still, it does not take any appeal from that microphone what-so-ever. Good reference Jef!
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 am

Cubical wrote:
So does Eddy

Oh God! And still, it does not take any appeal from that microphone what-so-ever. Good reference Jef!

roflmao
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby jammy jamz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:46 pm

holy rick james.

see that part at about 40 seconds. i wonder if thats an exhale of cigarette smoke, or..

something else....? sketchy dude.
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby Cubical » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Jammy JAms wrote
holy rick james.

see that part at about 40 seconds. i wonder if thats an exhale of cigarette smoke, or..

something else....? sketchy dude.`

i can't believe that Rcik James was "cool". or was he ever cool/ Either way,I would still have a beer with him anyday..
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...