Thought Malcolm and others would like this....

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Thought Malcolm and others would like this....

Postby Cubical » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:34 am

I had a fun/goofy recording session this evening with a good friend that is a rapper (not in Curbside). We did some tracking where I made a couple of songs for him with live instruments. He usually composes them with Reason and other programs but never with live instruments and wanted to do this for a while. I've always enjoyed the quality of his recordings, but we engaged in another all-too-common conversation.

Cubical:"Wow that was alot of work for being "just for fun". Let's listen to it with all the tracks together."

Buddy: "Yeah, I'm stoked to hear it! Let's compress all the tracks first!"

Cubical: What!?"

Buddy: "You have to compress all the track that's how you make it sound more intense!

Cubical: "How do you know that?"

Buddy: I was reading online that ALL the bigtime Rap producers and engineers have to compress the music to enhance the recording. I compress everything! You might as well do it now before we listen to it so we'll know what it's really gonna sound liike."

Cubical: "You need to read something."

**Shows Buddy the articles and websites realted to the "war against loudness" and others that discuss the problems that arise from compressing the shit outa stuff**

Buddy: "oh, shit...I have to go home and fix all my stuff."

The funny thing is I didn't persuade, poke fun or read the articles to him. He drew his own conclusions after I left him to read for 10 minutes. it all makes perfect sense, and explains why I enjoy my April Wine records.
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 am

Winning the war against loudness, one rapper at a time. Good on you man!
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 am

This is a great story, but I wonder if he was able to undo what he had done without going... "Maybe I like it crushed..."
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...