Great Success!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Great Success!

Postby Cubical » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:18 am

I'd would first like to thank all for taking some time to halp explain some microphone features, all comments have really made a difference in where, how and what I looked for in a headset mic. Secondly, I thank Matt for pointing me here because he new where I would get straight forward, profesional advice for my microphone questions..

And my selection was (bbrrbrbbrrbrrrr.......) Shure WH30! Thanks to L&M, and Lawrence at D&D sound, I have a barrage of microphones here, that I tediously put through the grinder, and really pushed boundaries as far as which mic has the punch, power, versatility and could deliver a sound as good, or nor better than the trusty 421 and 58/ 58A. The WH30 is comfortable, with a flexible "gooseneck" boom allowing for perfect positioning and excellent definition, very similar to that which I was receiving from my 421. The really sweet thing that i have discerned from using the microphone is that "manipulation" can be overcome without driving volumes to high and without maxing low and high end frequencies. with the mic positioned just correctly, there is virtually no audible difference from a cupped mic, to the bare head set mic. I really didn't think I would ever be able to get that type of result from a headset mic, but the WH30 is not a beginner's microphone and sounds impressive.

For the trials, I used the head set version of the WH30, which I enjoyed for mobility features and "mute" on the battery pack in between uses. I will have to get used to moving the mic away from my mouth when I am between songs, otherwise I will end up saying something not intended for my audience to hear!

FINAL QUESTION- If I do decide to do the wired version of the WH30, I would still like to find a way to mute the mic between songs. Is there a device I can carry (much like the wireless pack) what can offer this feature?
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Postby Cubical » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:35 am

I have a video, albeit poor sound quality, but shows how the WH30 is changing the way I do things! Steve fudge will vouch for sound quality, we were all blown away at how good the headset mic can work when you use the right one! Please be logged Facebook when you click the link below.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=535600404#/video/video.php?v=453995595404
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Re: Great Success!

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:09 pm

Cubical wrote:FINAL QUESTION- If I do decide to do the wired version of the WH30, I would still like to find a way to mute the mic between songs. Is there a device I can carry (much like the wireless pack) what can offer this feature?
The WH30 is a condenser mic and switching it is much more problematic than a dynamic. You can simply disconnect and reconnect a dynamic with little trouble, but with a condenser you have to deal with the phantom power that is present in the line to operate the condenser. Unless the supplied preamp has an integrated switch, you would have to use an external system for "muting" the mic. Something like Pro Co's "Sign Off":

http://www.procosound.com/products/catalog/show/51
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...