Delay Pedals

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Delay Pedals

Postby Butler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:29 pm

I see there was a "Gear" forum at one time... so I'm putting this here. Sorry Malcolm ; )

I'm just wondering if people are using delay pedals out there, what are you using? I had a Boss DD-5 for a long time... it worked, nothing special. I've been looking at these Diamond Memory Lane II pedals. I've never used an analog delay before... anyone tried these? I might have to take one for a test drive soon.

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/memorylane_2.html
Butler

Postby macrae11 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:18 pm

This and any Diamond Drive pedal I've ever tried are truly awesome. I actually haven't played with the #2 version, the original was amazing, and this looks like it's only gotten better. Well worth trying out. The only downside is that it's a little pricey.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Butler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Ya, I already have a J-Drive and the Compressor... and I love them.

I don't mind pricey if it's worth it... I'll be grabbing it next week to check it out for sure.
Butler

Postby adam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:13 am

If my delay pedals were pancakes, they'd be a full stack.

I am a big delay fan and it is pretty fundamental to my tone (and really my playing too, ie., it is a crutch on which I depend to cover up the fact that I really can't play guitar to save my life), but even so, I can't personally justify the cost of the Memory Lane-- especially since, at $599+ retail, all 5 of my delays could be bought all over again with cash to spare.

I've got a Boss DM-2 & a DD-3, a questionable Marshall copy of a DD-5 (EH-1 or something? I haven't used it, or even seen it, in years), a "vintage" (ahem) Ibanez DDL-10 and an Akai Headrush. Currently all of them except for the Marshall are on my (increasingly cramped) pedalboard.

The DD-3, like the DD-5, is utilitarian, functional, and pretty boring. The DDL-10 is the same, although the decay gets really gross and wacky toward the end. The DM-2 and Headrush are my bread and butter. The DM-2 will cover everything from horrible self-oscillation and noise to slapback echo to more conventional, moderate and musical analog delay. The Headrush gives me tap tempo delay, more than serviceable tape echo simulation, and a basic looper.

I feel that the Headrush is one of the best delay pedals on the market right now: it covers a lot of ground and isn't a lot of bucks. If you're careful, both it and an analog delay (DM-2, MXR Carbon Copy, new EHX Memory Boy, etc) can be had used for under $300 together. New, the Headrush costs $239ish (Steve's Music-- L&M carries Akai and will price match. Long & McQuade is a fine retail establishment, by the by) and a Carbon Copy is in the $160 neighbourhood IIRC.

I would feel that I was getting more quality and versatility for $400 here than I would be from a $600 Memory Lane, but your mileage may vary. Notable is that of course you've got a nice Les Paul and a nice Twin and none of my guitars or amps cost more than this pedal. Also I am a cheapskate.

And not to downplay the awesomeness of the Diamond, of course. If the opportunity to own one affordably ever presents itself to me I most assuredly will. My only Diamond ownership experience is with the original Drive pedal, which I think is just aces, and the limited in-store time I've had with a Memory Lane has been great too.
adam

Postby Butler » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:26 am

Awesome... thanks Adam! DM-2, Headrush and Carbon Copy are on the try out list now...
Butler

Return to Sounds Good...