Recommend A Condenser

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby gamblor » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am

So I’m already having connection issues with one of the cardioid capsules for the oktava mk 012’s. Is it going to damage anything if I spray some contact cleaner on the metal contacts, or is this just a faulty part that I should send back?
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 26, 2010 9:09 am

Hmmm... I wonder what's causing that. That's really strange.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 am

What type of contact cleaner? For example, DO NOT use WD40! Deoxit works well, but I think it's illegal now. If you are going to, probably don't spray it directly on, but spray a little on a chamois swab, or q-tip, and apply it that way.

What type of connection issues is it?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby gamblor » Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 am

macrae11 wrote:What type of contact cleaner? For example, DO NOT use WD40! Deoxit works well, but I think it's illegal now. If you are going to, probably don't spray it directly on, but spray a little on a chamois swab, or q-tip, and apply it that way.

What type of connection issues is it?

The stuff I have I bought at The Source a few years ago. All it says on the cannister is "electrical contact cleaner".

When it’s not connecting, it almost sounds like wind is blowing into it when nothing is being recorded. When I record something, the sound is discontinuous and has that blowing noise in the background. If I jiggle the capsule a bit I can get the sound to go away, but there have already been a few instances where the noise started up again in the middle of a take.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 am

Someone like Al would know better than I about the quality of the contact cleaner, but I'm assuming it's not great if it came from the source. Try applying it very lightly and if that doesn't work, check with where you bought it from.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 26, 2010 11:40 am

macrae11 wrote: Deoxit works well, but I think it's illegal now.

Are we going to jail?

macrae11 wrote:Try applying it very lightly and if that doesn't work, check with where you bought it from.

I'd return the thing personally. It should just work, we've never had an issue with ours.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:54 am

Yeah if you bought it local, for sure return it. I just thought you might have bought it online or something, which makes returning a little more of a hassle.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby gamblor » Wed May 26, 2010 12:28 pm

macrae11 wrote:Yeah if you bought it local, for sure return it. I just thought you might have bought it online or something, which makes returning a little more of a hassle.

I did. It's all good though. I emailed Oktava Canada and they are going to give me a new set free of charge and re-imburse me for shipping.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...