D.I.Y. Gobos

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby macrae11 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:09 am

Is the second pair going to have windows?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:21 am

macrae11 wrote:Is the second pair going to have windows?

My intention wasn't for them to have windows. I was going to make another set like this without windows, then make a final set with windows.

However I'll hear any arguments you have on the subject. Since this is essentially your Christmas present. :-P
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Wow and it's even early! Well I know we always struggle with making sure there are good sightlines upstairs, and I just think it would be much easier with windows. Doesn't affect me much though, so if you don't care, it don't matter to me.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:49 am

Well, there will be 2 pairs dedicated to windows. That's 8' across of windows. That should be enough to address the sight lines with Jon and Aaron. It's actually more visibility than we currently have even. I can even make a 3rd pair with windows down the road and we can arrange them however we need for the situation. Now that I know exactly how to make these it's nothing to pump them out as we need them.

I also plan on making a kick drum tunnel and a guitar amp iso box this fall. Like Malcolm said, I'm a bit of an over achiever... ;-)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Already well underway in the next set of gobos. I'll have the frames built this week. Then I'm moving on to the desk for the control room.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:59 pm

I made a small adjustment to the gobo design. I'm trading the hinges I used for ones with a removable pin. This way I can pull the pairs apart if I want, as per macrae11's request.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:05 pm

:oops: So I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I just thought of it. What about having a gobo that's half as tall and twice as wide. ie 4x4, either with a hinge, or just with a latch perhaps so they could be stacked together, back to a normal 8x2. I'm thinking of the session with Franco, where the mics will be down low on the bass, but it would be nice to have sight lines, so 4' high would be just about perfect.

Any chance we could saw one of the frames in half and just install an extra footer/header on one end?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 pm

macrae11 wrote::oops: So I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I just thought of it. What about having a gobo that's half as tall and twice as wide. ie 4x4, either with a hinge, or just with a latch perhaps so they could be stacked together, back to a normal 8x2. I'm thinking of the session with Franco, where the mics will be down low on the bass, but it would be nice to have sight lines, so 4' high would be just about perfect.

Any chance we could saw one of the frames in half and just install an extra footer/header on one end?

I should build a woodworking shop next instead of a control room...lol

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...