talkbox vs vocoder - for synth purposes

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

talkbox vs vocoder - for synth purposes

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm

I want to be able to run my synths into a talkbox or vocoder. Which one should I go after?

From what I can tell, the plastic tube in a talkbox makes enunciation clearer. So why, then, are vocoders (which use a normal microphone) a different beast? Can anyone tell me the sonic differences between them?

I don't mean bandpass filters and all the technical stuff that makes each one work, I mean the final result that you hear: does one outshine the other? Does one seem better-suited for synths than the other?

Thanks for any advices,

-Christian
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm

So, in the end, I decided to buy an Electric Warp Factory Vocoder on eBay.

Partly because of all the hands-on knobs, partly for the MIDI compatibility, partly for all the inputs/outputs (XLR in on the front!), and partly because of all the good reviews.

But to be honest? Mostly because this one in particular was used in the making of Billy Corgan's solo album :D F#@! yeah!!!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.

I never really thought of a talkbox being interchangeable with a vocorder. They are two different beasts with two different results. I also never really thought of using synths with a talkbox which would be a cool thing to do IMO.

I think you would need to listen to the results of the different devices to make a decision based on what you want as far as a sound is concerned. If you really find them to be one in the same tone wise, pick the one with the best functionality for what you are trying to do.

Since you have already made a call on what you want, it's all good.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:36 am

Sometimes I forget that YouTube is a good substitute for testing out equipment. Your answer rings true; listen to what both machines can do and for their character.

You've likely heard synths with talkboxes before; this guy cracks me up and I could only get about 40 seconds into the video, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7eWoAl ... re=related
He's havin' fun!!

I honestly think the Rocktron Banshee talkbox would be what I wanted more, but Smashing Pumpkins were/are one of my top 3 favourite bands of all time. For only a c-note, it sure as anything swayed my decision! It's cheap enough that I can still go for a talkbox later on (duets! I could record call-and-answer songs between the vocoder and the talkbox!).
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

Weren't vocoders used on that ol' Depeche Mode/Battlestar Galactica mashup, "Enjoy the Cylons"* ??

(*that's totally my wife's joke...I steal her more clever jokes all the time, and should totally give credit when it's due!)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 am

So, my vocoder arrived yesterday, and I'm in the 'new crush infatuation' stage with it right now :D

Played with it a bit yesterday, but then Lost came on so I had to watch that and go to bed.

This morning before work was when I really started to figure out how it works. Plugged my 1/4" jack microphone into a distortion pedal for gain, and a delay pedal for emphasis. Figured out how to get it so that it only sounds when I speak/sing (as opposed to the source signal playing when I'm not singing anything).

Will post here again once I've posted a short demo with it.
EDIT: and here it is!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...