Anomaly to me

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Anomaly to me

Postby roachie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

So, at O'leary's, I do a soundcheck of just a vocal and acoustic guitar, set the monitors to the likin' of the guy, everything is peachy, then I bring up the monitor levels of the rest of the band, and the entire monitor mix attenuates bigtime. Why?
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby macrae11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Were you listening to the monitor mix on stage as it attenuated? I don't doubt you but it sounds like it could be a psychological issue on his end.

The only technical thing I could maybe think of is if the amp was running at max capacity, and then bringing the other mixes up soaked up the rest of the power the amp causing it to get quieter. That seems so far from likely that I don't buy it though. The mix would distort way before it got quieter, and there would have to be something seriously broken in the amp to cause that.

A human error, that is also unlikely but was there a compressor patched in somewhere either on the guys mix, vocals, acoustic, something? Either the music on stage could be triggering it, or if there was a funky side chain set up somewhere.

I'm just throwing crazy ideas out there, that don't even sound plausible to me. Hard to trouble shoot without knowing more about that particular system.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 am

If it really did "attenuate", compression or limiting on the amp, or mix out would be the obvious suspect.

I also wouldn't rule out the psychological aspect as Andrew mentioned unless you verified it yourself.

Did removing the rest of the inputs return the "mix" to the original level?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:18 pm

It's the O'leary's system, pretty simple... no limiter on the monitors, just the mains... and I mix from side-stage so I could hear what was going on... I'm thinking I'm just crazy... I'll look into it a bit closer next week and let you know.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Jef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:31 am

Could it possibly be that when adding more 'voices' to the monitor mix, it is just getting cluttered and burying the original lead singer's mix?
...just a thought.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:21 am

I know junior high was a long time ago but the scientific method is still widely used by people trying to explain certain phenomena through experimentation and the collection of data. In this case though there seems to be a lot of data missing, making any hypothesis just a wild stab in the dark. There's just way too many variables here.

For starters what is involved in the signal chain? How is the signal chain hooked up? What was being sent through that signal chain? How was the observation measured?

I'm curious as to what the answer is and I don't claim to have any theories myself, however it would be hard for anyone to come up with anything with so little data.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I know junior high was a long time ago but the scientific method is still widely used by people trying to explain certain phenomena through experimentation and the collection of data. In this case though there seems to be a lot of data missing, making any hypothesis just a wild stab in the dark. There's just way too many variables here.

For starters what is involved in the signal chain? How is the signal chain hooked up? What was being sent through that signal chain? How was the observation measured?

I'm curious as to what the answer is and I don't claim to have any theories myself, however it would be hard for anyone to come up with anything with so little data.

By the frig you're so smart.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Sorry, I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning and fell out, then stubbed my toe on the way to the bathroom. I'm having an off morning, so I may be coming off a bit dick-ish. That being said, I'm not wrong, it's just bad delivery.

BTW: Are we still on for our phone meeting tonight?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:19 pm

....dick-ish.
dielaugh
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Definitely. Maybe a tad later than originally planned though. 8:30. If that doesn't work, 8 is still fine.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...