Good day :)

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Good day :)

Postby dylanger » Sat May 15, 2010 7:23 pm

So I recorded today and everything worked out fairly well. I bought the ADA8000 last night so I could use it today and have more inputs but I couldn't get it working. Because it wasn't working we only had 8 inputs. We went, Dummy vocals, Dummy guitar, Bass, Snare, Over Head, Over head, Snare Bottom. I was very surprised by the great sound I got with only using overheads and not having the toms close mic'd. It took us 2 hours to set up and that was almost the fun part lol. I ran out of 57's so I used a AT2020 about a foot away from a 4x8 cab which was caved in by a door with a blanket and a drum case. Ian's amp setup was very similar. It was fun "jimmy riggin" things. Thanks to everyone who let me borrowed things and gave me advice :-D
dylanger
Silver Member

Re: Good day :)

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat May 15, 2010 11:22 pm

dylanger wrote:I bought the ADA8000 last night so I could use it today and have more inputs but I couldn't get it working.
How was it hooked up? What exactly went wrong with it?

You were using it as a analog to lightpipe for more inputs?

How was it synced to whatever you were connecting it to?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby dylanger » Sun May 16, 2010 1:48 am

I was using it to get more analog inputs. I just couldn't figure out how to sync it with my interface
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 am

dylanger wrote:I was using it to get more analog inputs. I just couldn't figure out how to sync it with my interface
The easiest way is to connect both lightpipe in and out and set the ADA8000 to slave. This is assuming your main interface has connections in both directions.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Sun May 16, 2010 9:16 am

Before you guys arrived, Dylan, I was kinda worried about the sound of the room since I hadn't previously recorded there. But, I had a feeling that it would sound nice, and in the end I was very pleased with it. I'm looking forward to doing some more recording there.

(Now I just need to convince my fiance that we should turn it into a recording space as opposed to an apartment!)
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby dylanger » Sun May 16, 2010 10:39 am

So do i need to have to a cord going out of the interface into the ada8000 and then another cord out of the ada8000 into the interface.

And Ian, that would be uber cool
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Jef » Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 am

dylanger wrote:So do i need to have to a cord (fiber optic cable) going out of the interface into the ada8000 and then another cord out of the ada8000 into the interface.l

Yes.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun May 16, 2010 2:49 pm

dylanger wrote:So do i need to have to a cord going out of the interface into the ada8000 and then another cord out of the ada8000 into the interface.

I've never had a problem just hooking up one or the other. Setting the ADA8000 to slave is easy, it's on the back of the box. Setting your [insert make and model of interface here] to master is likely a setting that you'd adjust on the software side of things.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:18 pm

In my experience things seem to work better if the "sending" device is the master and the "receiving" device is the slave. My experience using the ADA8000 is that it works better as the slave. Having two cables allows both of these scenarios to work.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon May 17, 2010 12:04 am

Word clock in a lightpipe connection only travels in the "direction" of the audio. If you only connect the output of the ADA8000 to your main unit, there is no way for it to slave to that main unit. It needs either it's lightpipe in connected to the output of the main interface, or a separate word clock connection made from the main interface to the ADA8000.

A solid understanding of how word clock works is essential to the literal ins and outs of digital audio connection and proper setup and operation of devices.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...