micing a kick drum with no sound hole

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

micing a kick drum with no sound hole

Postby gamblor » Thu May 20, 2010 12:38 pm

besides cutting a hole in the kick drum, what is a good technique to use in this situation? i was using a sennheiser 421 about 2 or 3 inches away from the reso head last night and i found it was super boomy with none of the "snap" i was looking for. when i moved it further away i was getting lots of room bleed and sacrificing too much low end.

should i try to get that "snappy" element from the overheads and just let the kick mic serve the purpose of enhancing my low end?

here's a quick drum mix from last night. single overhead and 421 on the kick. i used some compression on the kick to tighten it up, but i hate having to do that if i know i could be getting a better sound without.

http://virgoa.org/newriffs/Grievance%20Drums.mp3
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 pm

The snap comes from the impact of the beater on the batter head. There's not much the resonant head is likely to give you. Have you tried micing the batter head just to see? Personally, I'd have poked a hole in the reso head a long time ago...lol

EDIT: I can't open that link from work, but I'll have a listen in a bit.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:The snap comes from the impact of the beater on the batter head. There's not much the resonant head is likely to give you. Have you tried micing the batter head just to see? Personally, I'd have poked a hole in the reso head a long time ago...lol

EDIT: I can't open that link from work, but I'll have a listen in a bit.

no i haven't tried the batter head. that's a really good idea.

the reason i haven't reached for the exacto knife quite yet is that i'm aware some drummers prefer no sound hole in their kick. i'd rather have the tools to adapt to different drummers as opposed to having drummers adapt to my (limited) set of tools.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 pm

yeah... put a hole in it. You can pick up a plastic grommet to decorate the hole for about 6 bucks. Definitely worth it to get a better sound on track. Then you don't have to improvise as much to get the sound you want. And it also gives you access to the inside of the drum without having to take the head off.
Also... is there any good reason why a drummer wouldn't let you put a mic hole in the head? Is it just because of the looks of it? or are they afraid it will change the tone?
Last edited by Jef on Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Jef wrote:yeah... put a hole in it. You can pick up a plastic grommet to decorate the hole for about 6 bucks.

Don't get those things, they sound awful. Get a proper resonant head with the hole built in. If you buy yourself a 22" Evans EQ3 resonant head and just keep it on hand, you can just swap out the head. That way you don't force them into changing their kit, you just do what you gotta do for the sake of the recording then put their head back on afterwards.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu May 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Don't get those things, they sound awful.

I've never heard a sound coming from the grommet before...
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Touché.

Let me rephrase. The grommet prevents the resonant head from sounding its best. That's what I meant to say.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu May 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Touché.

Let me rephrase. The grommet prevents the resonant head from sounding its best. That's what I meant to say.

I know... just being a smart ass. But I believe the wee bit of dampening it causes is minuscule compared to the amount of time you will spend trying to get a proper sound without putting a hole in it.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Jef wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Touché.

I know... just being a smart ass. But I believe the wee bit of dampening it causes is minuscule compared to the amount of time you will spend trying to get a proper sound without putting a hole in it.

I agree it's better than no hole, but don't underestimate my hate-on for those grommets. The impact they have is rather noticeable compared to a prefab resonant head witha hole built in. I have a head that sounds like complete ass after naving tried one of those things.

If you are going to DIY, then I recommend a stovetop, and can of chunky soup, welding mits and a steady hand:

http://www.wikihow.com/Port-a-Hole-in-a-Bass-Drum

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Thu May 20, 2010 1:19 pm

i don't buy chunky soup

is campbell's chicken noodle okay?
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

gamblor wrote:i don't buy chunky soup

is campbell's chicken noodle okay?

No, the chicken enzimes make the head sleepy.

EDIT: I prefer the bigger cans because I want a hole about 5" in diameter.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Thu May 20, 2010 4:02 pm

I don't have a hole in my bass drum head and I love my kick sound live. Boyer is usually the one mic'ing my kit and I think it's usually with a 421. This prolly doesn't help but my point is that you don't have to cut a hole in the head to get a great tone.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 20, 2010 4:08 pm

clinton wrote:I don't have a hole in my bass drum head and I love my kick sound live. Boyer is usually the one mic'ing my kit and I think it's usually with a 421. This prolly doesn't help but my point is that you don't have to cut a hole in the head to get a great tone.

Gamblor is looking for snap though. We're not just talking about tone in general. The easiest way to acheive that snap giving Gamblor's experience is likely through a ported resonant head.

I agree though, my ludwig kit never had a hole in it until some bonehead sound tech took it upon himself to cut one in it with his hunting knife as some kind of favor to me... I loved the tone of that kick too, but it wasn't good for everythign that's for sure.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...