ping: Andrew and other PT heads.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

ping: Andrew and other PT heads.

Postby sammyp » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:20 pm

Strange happening with a PT session file here. I opened the session as usual, no audio would load in and only a few of the tracks were there. All audio was gone, all midi was gone. The audio folder however was intact and normal. I opened the last backup session file and all was well, saved it "as", and now i have the session running again. It's called ____.recovered. The original session file is now only about half the size of the back ups. About 150kb as opposed to 300+ kb. How on earth did this happen? Anyone? i posted this at the DUC and it's seen 40 pairs of eyes without 1 reply.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:35 pm

... That's your problem right there... You're using ProTools. :lol:
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:17 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:... That's your problem right there... You're using ProTools. :lol:

Yep...we're here to help! :mrgreen:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:27 pm

oddioguy wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:... That's your problem right there... You're using ProTools. :lol:

Sammy knows it's all in good fun... 'sides, I know nothing about ProTools. ;-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby sammyp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
oddioguy wrote:

Sammy knows it's all in good fun... 'sides, I know nothing about ProTools. ;-)

Malcolm, you know PT is the only serious/professional audio app. ...................as he digs for his credit card to purchase the new sonar udgrade...... :lol:
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby sammyp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:38 pm

oddioguy wrote:

In all seriousness, curiosity killed this cat as far as PT goes - I dig Sonar bigtime! i already had bought into m-audio with the delta 1010LT so i was curious about m-powered. I haven't really touched sinse i got it in may but I BOUGHT THE FRIGGIN' SOFTWARE SO I WILL LEARN IT. The simplest things can stick me for a good half hour or more. some of the PT stuff comes really easy and some you have to crack the pdf which isn't a well written manual at all. THe more obvious dissapointments are the horrible (cakewalk 1997) looking GUI, no OMF support, track limitation, considerable less cpu efficient than Sonar. PT kinda bottoms out on my 2ghz laptop - sonar flies on it!
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby macrae11 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Hey Sam

I'm not sure I've run into what you're talking about before.

Strange happening with a PT session file here. I opened the session as usual, no audio would load in and only a few of the tracks were there. All audio was gone, all midi was gone.

Did a "searching for files" dialog come up? If it did, one of two things happened. Possibly the actual audio/fade/midi files were deleted from the hard drive.
The audio folder however was intact and normal.

That does not seem to be the case however. The other possibility is that for some reason PT was told not to look in the correct folder to find the files. This is changed in the options\disk allocation menu. Although I may be slightly off on that as i am not in front of a rig right now. I think it is the third menu from the right. I'm not sure how that may have gotten changed without you telling it to, but i'm sure stranger things have happened.
I opened the last backup session file and all was well, saved it "as", and now i have the session running again. It's called ____.recovered.

This is a normal thing if you load a PT session backup. Being a generally not super trusting person of any computers, i usually make my own seperate backups reguarly, in addition to the PT ones, date them and save them on a seperate drive.

If this wasn't the problem then i have never run into before. I wouldn't even bother with the online Digi support it's pretty pathetic. If you want some kind of answer trying calling the tech line, you should get some semblance of an answer. They don't even have a freakin 800 # though.
Customer service i am sad to say is not one of their stronger points. Usually the best thing to do is do get a good dealer support system. Seeing as how i sold it to you :oops: i'll try to help you out what i can eh what?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby sammyp » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:28 am

Andrew, i'm gonna chalk it up to a fluke for now. I didn't receive any error message etc, but i was changing alot of settings in perferences and the system that evening. On the DUC forum this thread has now seen 80 pairs of eyed with 1 reply - "check your drive for errors". My DAW has been rock solid and under used so far, it's not the computer. I think i must have done something screwy somehow. Besides it's recovered and behaving normal.

I wanted to tell you earlier (but you moved to Fred) that i regreted being overly opinionated (due to drunkeness) down at the boardwalk at the Trews show. Just kinda felt bad about that!
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby macrae11 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:09 am

Ah thats no problem, inebriation certainly has that affect on many people. I can't say that i'm not guilty of the same thing, several times over! ;-)
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...