USB audio interface

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

USB audio interface

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:29 am

Hey, everybody! Just wanted some advice on what I'm currently running into troubles with.

I finally got around to installing my Tascam usb audio interface last night, that has two XLR inputs on the front that will carry microphone audio (I got a Shure SM58), via usb cable, into my computer.

Now, the problem I run into is when I'm in Cubase and singing along to a song in there, all of a sudden the program slows and skips and basically acts like any computer does when you're asking too much of it. Closing the program takes a long time because of it. When I run the program normally without the Tascam, everything's fine and back to normal.

My computer has Windows XP, not much RAM at all (maybe 512Mb, maybe half that), and USB 1.0 (my Tascam is a USB 2.0 device that says it will work with USB 1.0).

I've tried muting all other recorded tracks but one, hoping to make it easier on the system. I've also increased the latency on the Tascam, with my understanding that that makes it easier on the system as well.

Do you guys think that if I installed a USB 2.0 card that would fix things, or should I just add more RAM (never a bad thing), or both?

Thanks in advance,

-Christian

P.S. Does anyone object if I post some "old mic/new mic" comparisons later on for us to listen to? Some blind taste-testing? :)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Jef » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:36 am

A couple issues might be the cause of your problems.
Yes, adding more RAM will increase the pc performance and USB v2 is a much faster interface.
Also, muting the tracks doesn't necessarily mean they are not still getting read by the program. Archiving the tracks might be a better way.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:38 am

I would up your RAM first. It's super cheap, and should help your system run better anyways. Somewhere between 1-2 gigs should be enough, but if you get a really good deal, max out the motherboard.

After that I would do some troubleshooting, and see if there might be any other issues lurking in the system, old drivers, full hard drive, virus' etc.
Then thirdly I would install a USB 2.0 card. USB 2.0 is a big step up, but if you're only tracking 1 or two channels at a time, USB 1.1 should be more than adequate. That's assuming you're not tracking at 88.2 or higher or 32 bit or something like that.

Also muting tracks doesn't actually remove very much of a load from the computer, as all the plugins and routing etc. are still active. Your best bet would be to freeze or deactivate tracks to free up the most horsepower. Matt could chime in on how to accomplish that.

As far as posting some clips, have at 'er. I'm always interested in shootouts.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 am

I agree with everything being said so far.

I will add my piece, but first can you tell me what version of Cubase you are running, along with a list of plugins and virtual instruments? With these answers I can probably be of help. I've beena Cubase guy for a while now.

Also more detailed list of computer specs would help too.

Either way max out your RAM first, it's cheap. But then go through your device manager and make sure all your drivers are up to date. Check for viruses and if your drives are full start seeing if there's some junk on there you can part with. It'll make it easier to write tot he drives. Your computer could use a tune-up methinks.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:29 am

Drumwaiter wrote:can you tell me what version of Cubase you are running, along with a list of plugins and virtual instruments? With these answers I can probably be of help. I've beena Cubase guy for a while now.

Dumb question, but where would I (generally) go to look to find out about plugins and virtual instruments? I never use virtual instruments, but I assume they're in the software somewhere. As for plugins: are those my effects that come with Cubase? I've never added anything new since I got it.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:20 pm

So my computer's an Intel Celeron CPU, 1.4GHz processor, with 256MB of SDRAM (SDR, not DDR) (2 sticks of 128 each).

Anyone know who's still selling SDRAM? I tried the websites for Staples and Futureshop, but alls they have is the DDR.

Also, my recording computer isn't hooked up to the internet so I can't tell the maximum amount of ram it'll take, but I'm guessing 2 x 1GB sticks can't hurt, right? That should cost between $150 - $200? Sound right?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Talk to Nick at The Munro Group and give him the make and model of your mobo and he'll hook you up with options for RAM.

http://www.gomunro.com
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:01 pm

digital world sells ram too if you can't get it at munro.

with those specs, i would make sure that you are running as few background processes as possible. this is good practice on any computer dedicated to recording actually. there are tons of good articles online for windows xp tweaks that are beneficial for pro audio.

definitely agree with getting more ram though. if that doesn't work, try messing around with your drivers. after that, usb 2.0 for sure.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby gamblor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:So my computer's an Intel Celeron CPU, 1.4GHz processor, with 256MB of SDRAM (SDR, not DDR) (2 sticks of 128 each).

Anyone know who's still selling SDRAM? I tried the websites for Staples and Futureshop, but alls they have is the DDR.

Also, my recording computer isn't hooked up to the internet so I can't tell the maximum amount of ram it'll take, but I'm guessing 2 x 1GB sticks can't hurt, right? That should cost between $150 - $200? Sound right?

if you can find two used 512's it is going to cost you significantly less. that and you won't notice much of a difference between 1gb and 2gb considering your processor speed.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:58 pm

gamblor wrote:if you can find two used 512's it is going to cost you significantly less. that and you won't notice much of a difference between 1gb and 2gb considering your processor speed.

I like the cut of your gib!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:26 am

So I got a pair of 512's of SD RAM yesterday, and my computer wouldn't even recognize them :oops: Time to look into a new motherboard, methinks!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:So I got a pair of 512's of SD RAM yesterday, and my computer wouldn't even recognize them :oops: Time to look into a new motherboard, methinks!
I know there are tricks to how RAM has to be distributed, but I'll have to ask one of our more computer savvy members to chime in on this to be sure...
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby fish » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 pm

When you install the new ram does your computer POST?

Also, like everyone said MORE RAM will definitely help, but as well you're really gonna want to upgrade your PROCESSOR. Celerons are pretty crippled as far as processors go.
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:03 am

fish wrote:When you install the new ram does your computer POST?

If by "POST" you mean "beep a little bit and then not turn on even though the motor's running," then yes. Yes, it POSTs :)

...One google search later, and that is what you meant. Excellent!

I tried leaving one 128 stick inside paired with a 512 and it turned on, but acted really slow. I confirmed through control panel that it was only recognizing the 128. [/i]
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby gamblor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:59 am

sounds like a motherboard limitation. how old's the compy? could be that the motherboard will only take a maximum of 256 per slot or something along those lines.

one thing to remember when you're trying to fix up that old clunker of a computer is that it eventually gets to a point where it's not worth putting any more time and money into it. you'd be surprised at the used pc's you can get for the money you would spend on new ram, processor, etc for your old box.

unless you're like me and you won't let a computer die until you milk it for what it's worth.

seriously though, i recently was in your shoes and spent around $150-$200 to get a similarly spec'd computer to run my DAW. worked well for a while but then the motherboard kicked the can. in hindsight, i wish i had explored my options for newer used computers. you need to keep in mind the harsh truth that the older a computer gets, the closer it is to the end of its lifecycle.

anyways, not to discourage or anything. just thought i'd throw out what i've learned from being in your situation.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm

gamblor wrote:sounds like a motherboard limitation. how old's the compy? could be that the motherboard will only take a maximum of 256 per slot or something along those lines.

anyways, not to discourage or anything. just thought i'd throw out what i've learned from being in your situation.

'tis good advice, and not lost on me! I'm considering get a new motherboard that can handle more ram, as well as a faster processor. Why do all that and not just get a new computer for the same price?

a) It's fun - I like learning and tinkering with stuff like this, and

b) I don't like learning and tinkering with reinstalling programs (my soundcard needs special drivers so it won't shriek into the headphones randomly and stop a recording session...something the manufacturer has never addressed). I'm hoping the more upgrading I can do behind-the-scenes, the less of those hassles I'd have to go through.

It's maybe not the right thing to do, but it's right for me :)

Oh yeah! I bought it used around 2002 or 2003, and haven't done much to it since. I won't even hook it up to the interwebs, I only use it for audio recording/editing (a little bit of video, too, which probably wouldn't suffer from upgrades either). Having finally taken the time to look at its numbers, I'm impressed it's worked as well as it has all this time.

Of course, I'm going to take back the 512's today and try to swap'm for a pair of 256's and hope the computer recognizes that much, first - I'll be meeting the minimum requirements for the Tascam at that point! 8-)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:20 pm

I know where you're coming from Christian. I'm looking at a motherboard and processor upgrade for my main rig. I'm trying to do as little as possible, but still want to know that everything will jive right and being a non "computer" guy, I'm trusting advice from Mike and other savvy folks to guide me through the decision.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:...I'll be meeting the minimum requirements for the Tascam at that point! 8-)

You should really aim a little higher than that. As with most applications, the minimum requirements will allow it to function, but if you want performance, you will need to go beyond that.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby gamblor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't swapping a motherboard require a re-install of your os to work properly?
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:46 pm

gamblor wrote:correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't swapping a motherboard require a re-install of your os to work properly?

nope.

You will have to apply the new MB drivers though.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Lo, even the 256's I tried would not be recognized :oops:

I may take the computer to the shop and test out all the ram they have just in case it was an incompatible brand (per their invitation). A friend has a computer for $50 he can get me that'll probably beat everything, if I just man up and reinstall things. Or, like I say, I might enjoy tinkering around with a motherboard just for the heck of it. I find the situation fun to be in, because I know that, at my leisure, I'll end up with a better system. And for relatively cheap (the ram I already tried only cost me $10, b/c the guys at the shop said noone else would want it).

In unrelated news: I picked up my Moog EP-2 Expression Pedal today from Long and McQuade, that uses CV. Between that, and my pressure-sensitive CV ribbon controller, I may never have to touch a key on my Moog again ;-) (these things can sweep the pitch, filter, LFO rate, etc) (I only mention it here b/c I wanted to share, but didn't think it was worth a new thread)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Time for a new computer my friend.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:56 am

if you want man, i've got 3 computers in the 5-10 year old range lying around in my basement that i'm not going to do anything with. at the time i was using them for swapping parts in my clunker studio pc, but i've since given up on that venture and just got a new compy.

take em all for a two four if you want. might be able to get a better system up and running with the excess parts. my former studio box actually has a working 250gb ide hard drive in it!
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:59 pm

gamblor wrote:if you want man, i've got 3 computers in the 5-10 year old range lying around in my basement that i'm not going to do anything with. at the time i was using them for swapping parts in my clunker studio pc, but i've since given up on that venture and just got a new compy.

take em all for a two four if you want. might be able to get a better system up and running with the excess parts. my former studio box actually has a working 250gb ide hard drive in it!

Hi gamblor! I have some leads already, but I just wanted to give you a quick 'thank you' anyway to acknowledge your offer! :) Thanks!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby gamblor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 am

Here’s a tip I learned yesterday that might squeeze a bit more performance out of your daw. Instead of launching your recording app from your dektop or start menu, you can create a batch file that will launch the program and place the corresponding process under “high priority”.

Just create a text file and put this in it

Code: Select all
start "" /HIGH "C:\Program Files\Wherever the folder is\whatever the program is.exe"

and save it as RUSHISABAND.bat . The file name is really important here.

Double click on it and you should be good to go. Keep an eye on it for the first couple runs though. This can either boost your performance or make the program run glitchy.

To check if it worked, go into your task manager and right click the process. Under the “set priority” drop down the word “high” will be selected.

If you’re feeling really keen, you can also do this if there is a .exe file for your sound drivers being launched at startup. Just create a similar batch file pointing to the executable that runs your sound drivers and place a shortcut to it in your startup folder. You'll also want to disable the normal startup process before you try this.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Sounds Good...