Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Ever have an issue when MIDI data is playing even when the region is not physically showing up in the edit window? What could be causing this? Kinda hard to edit a MIDI part if it doesn't even show up anywhere graphically.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Maybe real time properties is on?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 am

macrae11 wrote:Maybe real time properties is on?

I'll check and see. It's possible that it was put on accidentally, but I've never used that feature.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am

I read your post last night only half awake. Did you say the MIDI doesn't show up ....anywhere.... in the timeline? If that's the case my guess is you have the track set to "Block" view.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 am

macrae11 wrote:I read your post last night only half awake. Did you say the MIDI doesn't show up ....anywhere.... in the timeline? If that's the case my guess is you have the track set to "Block" view.

MIDI shows up in the time line, but there is MIDI data playing that doesn't correspond to the regions that are in the timeline. Which means that a certain piano ending can't be changed into something smoother.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 am

Does the MIDI data that you can hear show up visibly somewhere else in the timeline?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 am

Also what's the MIDI signal flow?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 am

macrae11 wrote:Does the MIDI data that you can hear show up visibly somewhere else in the timeline?

Nowhere that I can see it.

macrae11 wrote:Also what's the MIDI signal flow?

Not certain as this isn't my original session, I'm just mixing. I think it is just an instrument track with Ivory as an insert. So there isn't much going on in terms of signal flow, it goes through Ivory and comes out as audio on that track.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 am

Could be a hidden MIDI/Instrument track triggering Ivory from somewhere else.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am

macrae11 wrote:Could be a hidden MIDI/Instrument track triggering Ivory from somewhere else.

I'll have to do some digging when I'm in front of my computer again. I'll keep you posted.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:49 pm

You nailed it. There was a MIDI track that was hidden. Since MIDI tracks can't be disabled it was causing issues. All better now.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:29 pm

So... I have recently taken the opportunity to update/upgrade a bunch of stuff.

I went from Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and Pro Tools 9 to OS X 10.9.4 (Mavericks) and Pro Tools 11. Big changes... but I had a bit of down time to play with so I went for it.

At first I couldn't get PT11.2 to work properly or even open at all. I kept going back version by version until finally 11.0.2 ended up working (ironically this was the version before they started being compatible with Mavericks.) Then I had everything working fine for a while but then my PSU shit the bed.

Once I got my PSU replaced I was able to (with the help of AVID) get to the bottom of the issue I was having with PT 11.2. However now I can't get PT to work properly with the Fireface, no matter which version of PT11 I am on.

The fireface firmware and drivers are all up-to-date. The fireface is also working as expected with Ivory standalone. Also Pro Tools seems to regcognizing the fireface as expected. All i/o s are showing up and so forth. However as soon as you try to playback, you get a 6101 error. I pulled out all the plugins in a session just to try as an experiment. Still same issue. So I change the audio engine to the line output of the mac pro's internal audio card and everything is working fine again.

Any thoughts?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Don't think I've seen that error before, but some things to try are:

1:remove all firewire devices except FF and reboot
2: turn off all wifi/unplug all network connections
3: check word clock settings on FF and PT
4: Try different sample rate sessions.
5: Install both on another computer
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:04 pm

1: remove all firewire devices except FF and reboot (there is only one firewire device)
2: turn off all wifi/unplug all network connections (already done as part of basic optimization)
3: check word clock settings on FF and PT (Where can I access those settings on PT11? The fireface is set to auto-sync in any event)
4: Try different sample rate sessions. (that I could try...)
5: Install both on another computer (barf)

Also it was working fine before my PSU went sideways...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:49 pm

The interwebs seems to suggest that it could be one of my plugins that isn't up to date or acting up. Avid suggests that I move all my plugins to the unused folder and try it that way, then start bringing them back in until I suss out which one is the problem.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:The interwebs seems to suggest that it could be one of my plugins that isn't up to date or acting up. Avid suggests that I move all my plugins to the unused folder and try it that way, then start bringing them back in until I suss out which one is the problem.

That's an easy thing to check.

Clock source is under Hardware but it might send you to the RME interface for that anyways. I think it might also be available in the session setup window in PT 11 as well.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:23 pm

macrae11 wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:The interwebs seems to suggest that it could be one of my plugins that isn't up to date or acting up. Avid suggests that I move all my plugins to the unused folder and try it that way, then start bringing them back in until I suss out which one is the problem.

That's an easy thing to check.

Clock source is under Hardware but it might send you to the RME interface for that anyways. I think it might also be available in the session setup window in PT 11 as well.

Well pulling all the plugins out did nothing. Harware takes you directly to the fireface settings. In any event everything is at 44.1. Tons of people are complaining about this problem.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...