Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:What could you possibly need that one for, except to put the spaces between the songs on an album, but I though Jay did that.

A.

That does it. I'm scheduling you in for Pro Tools training.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:33 pm

I forget what number question we are on but...

How would you go about printing a tuned vocal track using the least amount of steps? I know we had this discussion recently but I forget exactly how you suggested going about it.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm

I always just route to a fresh audio track and manually print. Love PT10's automatic routing function for this.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 am

macrae11 wrote:I always just route to a fresh audio track and manually print. Love PT10's automatic routing function for this.

Maybe I misunderstood. That is how I do it too, but I thought I remembered there being an easier way. Maybe I just remembered you talking about how it is in PT10.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 am

Yeah still have to print to a new track, PT10 just makes setting up the track and routing much faster. With autotune and some other pitch plugins you can audiosuite them, but Melodyne isn't available as an AS plugin.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:42 pm

I know you've never mentioned them to me before, but VCA tracks are awesome. 8-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:18 pm

I've actually mentioned them on several different occasions. >>>
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:16 am

macrae11 wrote:I've actually mentioned them on several different occasions. >>>

Doesn't sound familiar ... they are so amazing though. I can't believe I'm just starting to get on them now. :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 am

dielaugh

Not to mention the millions of times you've told me about them in person. I learn at my own rate, what can I say?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 am

Matt and I have been trying to install his old version of Pro Tools 9 on my Macbook Pro so that I can work on edits and that sort of thing from home. The setup doesn't seem particularly intuitive however, especially with regards to I/O settings.

Andrew, do you happen to have any suggestions?
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 am

Nick H. wrote:Matt and I have been trying to install his old version of Pro Tools 9 on my Macbook Pro so that I can work on edits and that sort of thing from home. The setup doesn't seem particularly intuitive however, especially with regards to I/O settings.

Andrew, do you happen to have any suggestions?

I'll add a bit of clarification:

Our PT9 license is going to waste since we have a separate PT9HD license. Nick has a Macbook Pro, and could very well do much of his ITB work from home using a pair of headphones. What we want to know in particular is: IS there an easy way to deal will the I/O setting difference between the two setups? I want to be able to transfer sessions from one machine to the other with the least amount of messing around. Also will Pro Tools work with just the built-in soundcard? We were trying to get it to work last night for a few minutes and weren't successful. Lastly what is "Pro Tools aggregate i/o"? I know what the word "aggregate" means, but how does this work in Pro Tools?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 am

I should work fine. You'll have to do some messing around with the IO because you're going from a 32IO system to a 2IO system. There's going to be some settings to tweak every time you do a transfer, but if you save your IO settings it shouldn't be a big deal. Aggregate IO's are when you want to chain multiple sound cards together, so you won't want to use that. Just set the playback engine to "Built In" whatever and it should be fine. Nick if you want to take your laptop in on Saturday I can help you set it up.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Nick H. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 am

macrae11 wrote:I should work fine. You'll have to do some messing around with the IO because you're going from a 32IO system to a 2IO system. There's going to be some settings to tweak every time you do a transfer, but if you save your IO settings it shouldn't be a big deal. Aggregate IO's are when you want to chain multiple sound cards together, so you won't want to use that. Just set the playback engine to "Built In" whatever and it should be fine. Nick if you want to take your laptop in on Saturday I can help you set it up.

I'll try to get it working tonight, but if not I will bring it with me on Saturday. Thanks!
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:25 pm

What's the key command for selecting everything between the first and last location marker again? I know you've told me but I forget.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 pm

It's not really a key command so much as just holding shift to extend a selection from one point to another. For example in my sessions I always make marker 1 the start of the song and marker 2 the end. So I would hit ". 1 ." then hold shift and hit ". 2 ."
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:21 pm

macrae11 wrote:It's not really a key command so much as just holding shift to extend a selection from one point to another. For example in my sessions I always make marker 1 the start of the song and marker 2 the end. So I would hit ". 1 ." then hold shift and hit ". 2 ."

Sweet, thanks!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Burnsy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey, that is good to know! Can you use it to select marker points sequentially.... hit .1. "shift" .2. continue holding shift, .5. continue holding shift .8., and this will sequentially allow you to select from marker .1. to .8.?

Speaking of workflow, do you guys take written notes of all your markers? My guess is yes, and it should be a loud "YES." I suppose that would only make sense, especially editing large projects. I think I answered that question myself.. thinking out loud here....
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Burnsy wrote:Hey, that is good to know! Can you use it to select marker points sequentially.... hit .1. "shift" .2. continue holding shift, .5. continue holding shift .8., and this will sequentially allow you to select from marker .1. to .8.?

Yes. Any function that moves the cursor can be combined with holding shift to extend your selection. So Enter, marker recalls, tab, selector tool etc.

Burnsy wrote:Speaking of workflow, do you guys take written notes of all your markers? My guess is yes, and it should be a loud "YES." I suppose that would only make sense, especially editing large projects. I think I answered that question myself.. thinking out loud here....

Do you mean written notes as in on a piece of paper? Then no. I do take lots of notes, but they all live within the session, unless I'm sending the session to another engineer. Then I'll take my notes and put them in a word doc or an email since they might not be able to find them all easily. The notes for the markers live within the markers themselves with descriptive names. I can see the list of names of all the markers in the marker window.(Cmd+numpad 5)
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:41 pm

For anyone bouncing a lot of tracks simultaneously via bussing... Select the tracks you want to change inputs/outputs on, then hit cmd+opt+shift before choosing the routing in the first track. The rest of the tracks will change sequentially. Just be mindful of stereo tracks, they are a bit tricky since the need to start on an odd number.

EDIT: There you go Nick I just saved you lots of time. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:54 pm

That's a great one especially for anyone working on a console. Can literally save 10 minutes on a busy mix.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:10 pm

macrae11 wrote: Can literally save 10 minutes on a busy mix.

Or when summing multiple drums tracks together... :shock:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:09 pm

I totally forgot to remind Nick to bring in his Mac when you were in this weekend. I'm going to try to get it working off the sound card again, but I might need your help Andrew. So I might call you in the middle of the night... (before 10PM.)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 pm

No prob. I might not be around tonight, but sometime.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:32 pm

macrae11 wrote:No prob. I might not be around tonight, but sometime.

Oh yeah... I mean sometime before you go to Europe.

You da man.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...