Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Got it working last night. It was just some performance settings in the playback engine of Pro Tools that needed to be adjusted for the intended use. Since this wasn't meant to be a tracking rig and strictly an editing rig, it was pretty easy as there was no need to compromise.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Good to hear. I figured it was something simple like that, since it's worked smoothly on every machine I've ever tried it on.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey Andrew,

I'm looking to find something of a primer that explains the mechanics of how pro tools operates on a fundamental level. TDM vs. RTAS, latency, ect.
Essentially how Pro Tools uses resources, whether in the host or on the card.

Basically I know a lot of this stuff from you, but I'm going to have to teach this to a small group soon and I was wondering if there was a refence I could point them too. Perhaps something online?

Did you learn all this in school or did you learn it by just doing it? There's still a lot of it that I think is a bit nebulous.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 pm

The majority I learned as I went. There's a lot of good information in some Digidesign white papers, but I don't know if they're current what with the new AAX format. Just google the white papers, and there also a fair amoun of information in the manual.

If you've got some more specific questions I may be able to give you some more specific answers.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 pm

macrae11 wrote:The majority I learned as I went. There's a lot of good information in some Digidesign white papers, but I don't know if they're current what with the new AAX format. Just google the white papers, and there also a fair amoun of information in the manual.

If you've got some more specific questions I may be able to give you some more specific answers.

I don't need to know about the AAX stuff just yet, so the white papers should do. Since this is mostly to get the new round of interns up to speed on Pro Tools HD.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm

This is an older article but it seems to cover most of what I wanted to cover:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/ptworkshop_1207.htm

Is there anything on this that is out-of-date and therefore no longer relevant?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:19 pm

That covers the basics, but doesn't get into TDM plugins at all which is a big deal, particularly if you get into doing hi sample rates.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm

macrae11 wrote:That covers the basics, but doesn't get into TDM plugins at all which is a big deal, particularly if you get into doing hi sample rates.

You're right, and the TDM stuff is what I really what to know, because I have a very basic understanding of it. Whereas the topics in that article I already knew pretty well.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 am

I'm only about a third of the way through it but this looks more like what I'm looking for.

http://www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/Reports/ProToosHD_and_TDM.pdf

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am

TDM and DSP allocation isn't covered in the latest Pro Tools manual (maybe because of the new HDX cards) but I found what I needed in appendix B of the 6.4 version reference guide.

https://wikis.utexas.edu/download/attachments/17368985/ProTools+Reference+Guide+v6.pdf

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Heeyy Andrew... I don't know what part of the world you are in but I just made my first music video with pro tools. It was fun.

That is all... take care!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm back home. Just gone for the weekend.

When you say you "made" a music video with Pro Tools.... you mean cut up a video track to music?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 am

macrae11 wrote:I'm back home. Just gone for the weekend.

When you say you "made" a music video with Pro Tools.... you mean cut up a video track to music?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I hate trying to get videos off an iphone though. They don't make it easy do they?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:10 am

I never really have a problem, although I always do it to the computer that the iphone is synced to direct to iphoto or apeture. If I have to send it to someone else I'll usually dropbox it direct from the phone.

If you're actually trying to do some video stuff I think you'd be better off using iMovie than beat your way through with the limited "video editing" that pro tools gives you.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 am

macrae11 wrote:I never really have a problem, although I always do it to the computer that the iphone is synced to direct to iphoto or apeture. If I have to send it to someone else I'll usually dropbox it direct from the phone.

She didn't have dropbox unfortunately, the file was also 800MB and our internet is brutal.

macrae11 wrote:If you're actually trying to do some video stuff I think you'd be better off using iMovie than beat your way through with the limited "video editing" that pro tools gives you.

Not necessary for this time but it would be fun to look into it. Maybe for the Craig session you can show some stuff during breaks.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Pro Tools 11 looks soooo good. Like most, I'll have to wait until the plugin developers start to catch up to the 64-bit AAX format, especially now that I'm 100% ITB for the time being. We live in exciting times.

Not being tied to HD anymore is a bit of a blessing for now...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah I'm looking forward to trying it out at the school but it'll be a good long time before I move to it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am

macrae11 wrote:Yeah I'm looking forward to trying it out at the school but it'll be a good long time before I move to it.

I only need 4 plugin developers to get AAX 64-bit versions out, and 3 of them are very close. So I'm thinking I'll be on PT11 by the end of summer.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 am

Just found out I get a free upgrade to 11 on my home rig since it's an academic version, plus 4 more years of updates. I might make it to 12 at this rate! I don't really use that rig for anything but marking and the occasional edit but it's nice to be able to try it out.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 am

macrae11 wrote:Just found out I get a free upgrade to 11 on my home rig since it's an academic version, plus 4 more years of updates. I might make it to 12 at this rate! I don't really use that rig for anything but marking and the occasional edit but it's nice to be able to try it out.

That's kinda neat. Not worth going to school for, but neat.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:06 am

You really just have to know someone who's going to school.....
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am

macrae11 wrote:You really just have to know someone who's going to school.....

I'll have to ask around and see if I know anyone like that. Thanks for the tip mysterious stranger!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 pm

So I downloaded PT11 last night just to play with it for a bit. It's actually a bit cooler than I thought. Avid is so funny. They go for years with absolutely the worst export method of any major DAW. I understand it, it had to do with the architecture of their entire system which I wouldn't trade, but when they do finally get around to updating and fixing things they certainly go all the way. 16 simultaneous export paths with up to 8 channels each, direct outputs from any signal path open in the session, simultaneous mp3 conversion, upload to SoundCloud and Gobbler, really fast offline exports. Plus the metering is much improved. In non HD it's only what it should have been four years ago. Fully customizable with 3 ballistics options. But with HD there's 17 different metering formats, as well as a bunch of different gain reduction options. Complete new databasing system. Bypass options for everything in the audio chain and key commands for bypassing just about everything. GPU enhanced video playback and the ability to directly open Media Composer files. HDX can handle 768 audio tracks without any load on the CPU. And a bunch more.

A lot of this stuff is post related so most might not care, but it's a pretty stunning upgrade package. Also there's a simultaneous install of PT10 so you don't have to jump ship completely without a safety net.

So I haven't been keeping up on other platforms lately. Is there anything else new out there of note?

On a completely different note, Lagavulin 16 is completely stunning. Also finished of my bottle of Bruichladdich. Should have posted to the scotch thread but I'm too lazy.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:12 pm

In terms of importing session data, I have a rather important question that I felt I should already know the answer to, but recent events have left me wondering...

In the "import session data" dialog box, if I select "copy from media source" in the "audio media options, it should copy the audio into the current session directory right?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes it should. However if funny things are happening check your Setup/Disk Allocation window to see if something might have gone awry. Can sometimes happen when juggling multiple versions of the same session.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...