Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:04 pm

No, I've gotten them all to work in the end but mostly by fluke, not because I had some kind of deep understanding of the problem....lol I can't remember which ones in particular ATM, it was a few weeks ago and I just remembered to ask the question today.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 pm

When using the faderport is there anyway I can convince Pro Tools to simply let me select the track I want to automate and have the fader port work on that track? It's a bit annoying the way it works right now because it forces me to scroll through banks via the faderport's left and right arrow keys to select the track. I want to be able to just select the track in Pro Tools and have the faderport respond to it. Any thoughts? Is it maybe a faderport issue or is it something on the Pro tools side of things?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Right click on track name and select scroll into view. No key command that I know of for that.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Two questions:

First Question: In HD, when a track is in input monitoring mode, the insert plugins become disabled. This makes sense to me in the sense that I want to hear what is coming through on input. Question I have though is: What if I want to try applying EQ ITB while getting the track is armed and I want to monitor hwo that EQ is affecting the sound? I believe in non-HD it wasn't an issue since I could monitor through the insert chain, but it's different in HD and I don't yet know all the rules.

Second question: Last night Nick was importing some wav files froma fellow CAPE team member. The files took forever to "analyze" and they all had "poly" at the end of their file name when they were imported into Pro Tools which implied to me that they were rendered in EA. That being said, the actual file name of the file we downloaded didn't have the "-poly" at the end of it. To further add to the complexity of this situation, the file was fast and sharp in pitch. We are all supposed to be in 44.1 so I really don't know what's going on here. Do you have any insights at all here?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm

1: Actually you couldn't input monitor through plugins with LE. If you record enabled a track all plugins were bypassed, and the only way you could input monitor is if the track was record enabled. With TDM you can monitor through plugins if they're TDM. So RTAS plugins will be bypassed but not TDM. There is a bit of a cheat though, if you put a TDM plugin first in the chain, even if it's not doing anything, RTAS plugins below it won't be bypassed and you can monitor through them. However this will eat up more voices and may cause some latency depending on the plugs

2: That's a fishy one, but I'd bet $100 that there's some weird sample rate stuff going on his end. First off though, make sure you have EA turned off for new tracks and you could also try turning off sample rate conversion on import, which is under processing in the preferences window. Second of all if you open the original file up in QuickTime and hit Cmd+I it will tell you what the original sample rate was. Also stupid question time- what's the Big Ben set to?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:07 pm

macrae11 wrote:1: Actually you couldn't input monitor through plugins with LE. If you record enabled a track all plugins were bypassed, and the only way you could input monitor is if the track was record enabled.

I could in Pro tools 9. It never bypassed the inserts no matter what input mode I was in. I'm 110% certain of this.

macrae11 wrote:With TDM you can monitor through plugins if they're TDM. So RTAS plugins will be bypassed but not TDM. There is a bit of a cheat though, if you put a TDM plugin first in the chain, even if it's not doing anything, RTAS plugins below it won't be bypassed and you can monitor through them. However this will eat up more voices and may cause some latency depending on the plugs.

Sweet... This is what I wanted to know. See, there is still much more for me to learn about the TDM vs. RTAS issue.

macrae11 wrote:2: That's a fishy one, but I'd bet $100 that there's some weird sample rate stuff going on his end. First off though, make sure you have EA turned off for new tracks and you could also try turning off sample rate conversion on import, which is under processing in the preferences window. Second of all if you open the original file up in QuickTime and hit Cmd+I it will tell you what the original sample rate was. Also stupid question time- what's the Big Ben set to?

I'll have to go to the studio to take some notes, then I'll get back to you with the answers to these questions. BRB.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
macrae11 wrote:1: Actually you couldn't input monitor through plugins with LE. If you record enabled a track all plugins were bypassed, and the only way you could input monitor is if the track was record enabled.

I could in Pro tools 9. It never bypassed the inserts no matter what input mode I was in. I'm 110% certain of this.

Even when record enabled? That must have been new in 9.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:47 pm

macrae11 wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:

Even when record enabled? That must have been new in 9.

Absolutely. I know for sure because it's always been like that for as long as i remember. I've been in 9 since the beginning of 2011 and I don't really remember 7 or 8 very well.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 pm

macrae11 wrote:2: That's a fishy one, but I'd bet $100 that there's some weird sample rate stuff going on his end. First off though, make sure you have EA turned off for new tracks and you could also try turning off sample rate conversion on import, which is under processing in the preferences window. Second of all if you open the original file up in QuickTime and hit Cmd+I it will tell you what the original sample rate was. Also stupid question time- what's the Big Ben set to?

I opened in quicktime; the file was apparently recorded at 44.1. Big Ben is also at 44.1, so I'm not sure what the problem would have been. I checked the processing preferences too, everything seems to be as it should..
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Odd. Any chance you could send me the file?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 pm

macrae11 wrote:Odd. Any chance you could send me the file?

Yeah... I'll put it up on Dropbox tonight.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Imported into a session both via copy and adding directly from its current location and it worked flawlessly both times.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:50 pm

macrae11 wrote:Imported into a session both via copy and adding directly from its current location and it worked flawlessly both times.

Weird. I wonder what happened... Nick usually just drags it in from the finder, but it's never been a problem before. I'm going to try it again tonight myself.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:27 am

Weird bug... In one of my sessions I have an audio track whose level peaks (visually) around -16dbfs. No matter what I do the level stays the same on the meter although the changes I make in the insert chain have an obvious effect on the actual output.

Ever have that happen before?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:46 am

No never. What plugin? Is it just one track, or the whole session? If you use the plugin somewhere else does it still happen? Can you send me the session?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:46 pm

macrae11 wrote:No never. What plugin? Is it just one track, or the whole session? If you use the plugin somewhere else does it still happen? Can you send me the session?

I had the 7band EQ and Smack I think. I tried removing them, and still nothing changed. The input and output levels in the plugins showed the levels as they really were though, but the meter on the mixer doesn't.

I suppose I can send you the session, or you can remote operate it even if you want. It's the session for the mix I just sent you.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm

You could try some different plugins or importing the track to a new session. LogMeIn's not working.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

macrae11 wrote:You could try some different plugins or importing the track to a new session. LogMeIn's not working.

I'll try some different stuff and see, if not I'll make sure logmein is working before tomorrow.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am

Since you're coming down this weekend, maybe we'll have a quick peak at that problem then.

On an unrelated note... Do you know if PT10 sessions can be opened in PT9? I am wondering if that had anything to do with your session not opening properly when you can down last time.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:On an unrelated note... Do you know if PT10 sessions can be opened in PT9? I am wondering if that had anything to do with your session not opening properly when you can down last time.

PT10 sessions cannot be opened in any earlier versions, and it's actually a different file suffix. It's now .ptx instead of .ptf. However I did save it as a previous version, otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all. I'm guessing the problem either stemmed from an improper down converting at that stage, or a bug in 9 having to do with importing 44.1 audio into an 88.2 session, or something of that like. The tempo problem could have been a number of things.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 pm

FYI - My old keyboard shit the bed a few weeks ago, and I have been successfully navigating without the stickers ever since. 8-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 pm

What is wrong with the old one, I paid good money for that.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:What is wrong with the old one, I paid good money for that.

A.

Space bar stopped working.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu May 03, 2012 3:00 pm

What could you possibly need that one for, except to put the spaces between the songs on an album, but I though Jay did that.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:What could you possibly need that one for, except to put the spaces between the songs on an album, but I though Jay did that.

A.

(lap
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...