Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Matt's Pro Tools learning thread...

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:58 pm

You don't have to. You have Sample Replacer! Way cooler than doing in manually. It only gives you three velocity layers, so you may have to go in an change some samples, but the tracking is pretty good, and once you get all the parameters tweaked up nicely, you can usually use them across an entire song, or sometimes multiple songs, so save your settings. Even when doing it manually, I usually only use three velocity layers, unless it's something very dynamic.

Here's a quick tutorial on it. Sometimes I'll use Beat Detective, or Strip Silence to clean things up ahead of time if there's a lot of bleed.
http://www.musictechtutorials.com/pro-t ... -replacer/
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:33 pm

macrae11 wrote:You don't have to. You have Sample Replacer! Way cooler than doing in manually. It only gives you three velocity layers, so you may have to go in an change some samples, but the tracking is pretty good, and once you get all the parameters tweaked up nicely, you can usually use them across an entire song, or sometimes multiple songs, so save your settings. Even when doing it manually, I usually only use three velocity layers, unless it's something very dynamic.

Awesome, I love hearing about easier ways to do things.

macrae11 wrote:Here's a quick tutorial on it. Sometimes I'll use Beat Detective, or Strip Silence to clean things up ahead of time if there's a lot of bleed.
http://www.musictechtutorials.com/pro-t ... -replacer/

There's not a lot of bleed since it's the inside kick channel so I should be good. I'll let you know how I make out!
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 am

I watched that video last night. I can't get through it. He drives me nuts. I'll figure it out on my own, it seems simple enough.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah he's terrible. Most of those videos are. It is pretty simple though, you should have no problem.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 am

Fun fact...it's been nearly 5 months since I touched Cubase.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 am

So today I wrote an email to my boss and I wanted to put a sentence in quotations. I put the quotation mark at the beginning of the sentence then I pressed W to move the cursor to the end of the sentence. That's when I realized I was in Outlook, not Pro Tools.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 am

Interesting.. the W key in Sonar is for rewind.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Hahaha. I've tried used PT key commands in many other programs, but never in an email.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 pm

I can't believe I forgot this but... How do you calculate a BPM in this thing again? Is it different in PT9?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:34 pm

There's multiple ways. You can use beat detective to extract tempos, or operations window, although that may only do MIDI. Can't remember. The simplest way is to select the tempo in the transport section and hit the 't' key to the tempo. You have to be in manual tempo mode though.

Or even simpler, I installed a tap tempo widget on your dashboard.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Jef » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 pm

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
Just tap the space bar.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 pm

macrae11 wrote: The simplest way is to select the tempo in the transport section and hit the 't' key to the tempo. You have to be in manual tempo mode though.

That's the one! Thanks.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:02 am

Question: Any reason that Pro Tools would be trying to access the backup drive during a session if I'm running the session off the primary production drive? The only way I can stop it from doing that is by unplugging the external backup drive, which makes me question why it's trying to access the external drive at all since it works fine without it even plugged in. It's making the beach ball show up whenever the external drive has been inactive for too long.

Any thoughts?

P.S. We need a new mouse already. Scroll wheel stopped going up and down. I'll attempt to clean it but they really make it hard to get in there.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Question: Any reason that Pro Tools would be trying to access the backup drive...

(just a guess...) Could it be that ProTools automatically searches your computer to see if any other drives are present and then selects one that doesn't have an operating system installed on it and uses that as its default storage location?

The Internets wrote: "IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive."
Last edited by Jef on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Jef wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:Question: Any reason that Pro Tools would be trying to access the backup drive...

(just a guess...) Could it be that ProTools automatically searches your computer to see if any other drives are present and then selects one that doesn't have an operating system installed on it and uses that as its default storage location?

I don't know. I would seem really strange that it would do something like that. I mean, why would be be looking outside of the actual directory of the session itself for anything? Much less in a completely different drive...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:10 pm

..forgot to add that snippit
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Jef wrote:..forgot to add that snippit

That goes without saying, and it goes for any DAW not just Pro Tools. The primary reason is that you want a drive to which the reading and writing is dedicated to the session you are working on and not to other processes (like running the OS.) I never had this particular problem with Cubase while using the same basic HDD configuarion. So I am led to believe this is a PT specfic issue and not a HDD configuration issue.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:45 am

Pro tools scans all available drives attached to you system. That's what the digidesign database folders are on every partition. What you need to do is go into the workspace browser (opt+;) and make the drive non PT Accesible. You do that by changing the letter next to the drive from an R for record to a T for transfer. There's also P for playback only which things like NTFS drives on macs default to. There's a column for audio and video so you can change both. This should solve your problem, although it could be an OS problem not a PT problem and you just happen to notice it when PT is running because it uses a lot of resources. Try that first though and then see what happens n
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:41 pm

macrae11 wrote:Pro tools scans all available drives attached to you system. That's what the digidesign database folders are on every partition. What you need to do is go into the workspace browser (opt+;) and make the drive non PT Accesible. You do that by changing the letter next to the drive from an R for record to a T for transfer. There's also P for playback only which things like NTFS drives on macs default to. There's a column for audio and video so you can change both.

Oh, you're good... 8-)

macrae11 wrote:This should solve your problem, although it could be an OS problem not a PT problem and you just happen to notice it when PT is running because it uses a lot of resources. Try that first though and then see what happens n

No it's not an OS thing. The light on the LaCie drive starts twitching indicating that it's trying to access that drive.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Did it work?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 am

macrae11 wrote:Did it work?

Yes it did. Which is why I'm pretty impressed. I've also used a new key command in the process (although I'll probably forget it from lack of use.)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:39 pm

You should try using the workspace browser, it can be very helpful. You can import files from there, but usually I find it slower than just searching in the finder. However it's the best method I've found for auditioning samples and loops and such. Especially things lime REX files that the finder doesn't recognize. You can also audition loops at the tempo of you session. Or anytime you need to relink lost fes you can do that through the workspace.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Nick and I just figured out last night how erase a location marker. What a PITA that was... Command+5, I'll never forget it.

Anyways, moving on... So let's say I have a gazillion edits in my current playlists and I want to consolidate everything after I'm 98% sure my edits are good. I do however want to make sure I can go back and fix things if I need to. How would you do that? I'm thinking of simply duplicating the playlist and then consolidating the duplicate. Would that be the best way to achive this? Also did they ever create a shortcut for "new playlist" and "duplicate playlist"?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Nick and I just figured out last night how erase a location marker. What a PITA that was... Command+5, I'll never forget it.
Or just option click on it... Or just select it and delete it... :-P
Mathieu Benoit wrote:Anyways, moving on... So let's say I have a gazillion edits in my current playlists and I want to consolidate everything after I'm 98% sure my edits are good. I do however want to make sure I can go back and fix things if I need to. How would you do that? I'm thinking of simply duplicating the playlist and then consolidating the duplicate. Would that be the best way to achive this? Also did they ever create a shortcut for "new playlist" and "duplicate playlist"?
Two main ways I do this. First way is the way you suggested, just create a duplicate playlist, name it, or make a comment, and consolidate. The two commands for playlists are (I think) Control+\ for New, and Control+Option+\ for Duplicate.

The second way, if I'm a little less sure that my edits are perfect is to group the regions. Basically that turns all the independent regions, fades and gaps into one large region. The nice thing is it's 100% non destructive. Command+Option+G to create the group, Command+Option+U to undo the group. Another cool thing is that you can create region groups across multiple tracks, so if you just want to do some moving to a whole drum kit, but don't have all the edits done, you can group all the tracks, move things around, then ungroup.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 pm

macrae11 wrote: Or just select it and delete it... :-P

Go ahead and try that for yourself... It really doesn't work that way. Option click is definitely something I should have thought of though, as that's how warp markers function.

macrae11 wrote:Two main ways I do this. First way is the way you suggested, just create a duplicate playlist, name it, or make a comment, and consolidate. The two commands for playlists are (I think) Control+\ for New, and Control+Option+\ for Duplicate.

The second way, if I'm a little less sure that my edits are perfect is to group the regions. Basically that turns all the independent regions, fades and gaps into one large region. The nice thing is it's 100% non destructive. Command+Option+G to create the group, Command+Option+U to undo the group. Another cool thing is that you can create region groups across multiple tracks, so if you just want to do some moving to a whole drum kit, but don't have all the edits done, you can group all the tracks, move things around, then ungroup.

I'll consider the second option, but what I'd really like is to be able to clean some things up for when it comes mix time. Fewer calculations for the computer to make, and have I mentioned I'm OCD? I didn't realize you can group the regions though. I've never actually grouped regions, just tracks.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...