Cape 9

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Should I sign up?

Yes, it's totally a great idea!
33%
No, you suck and will only embarass yourself!
No votes
Aren't you too French for this type of thing?
33%
Why don't we just host our own right here?
33%

Total votes : 6

Cape 9

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 am

The deadline for me to sign up is August 1st. I was going to get involved last year but I got cold feet because I wasn't sure if I could swim with these boys all over the world.

But his year I'm thinking I should go for it.

http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=14898
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 am

Actually between Cape and Bandwich, I was really thinking that maybe Middle Audio should have a local collaboration that would basically be regional version of The Womb's Cape. Anyone interested? We could do it anually as well.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:13 pm

I wanted to vote twice, but since I can't I voted for the French one cuz it was funny. Seriously you should do it though. Would you go in as a drummer, keyboardist, producer....?

I think it would be cool to do something like this locally, but for me, I would be wary of the time commitment. If it worked into my schedule I'd totally do it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:24 pm

macrae11 wrote:I wanted to vote twice, but since I can't I voted for the French one cuz it was funny. Seriously you should do it though. Would you go in as a drummer, keyboardist, producer....?

The producer's role would be too much work. I'll submit as a drummer or keyboardist.

macrae11 wrote:I think it would be cool to do something like this locally, but for me, I would be wary of the time commitment. If it worked into my schedule I'd totally do it.

The point is to disperse the workload and you'd only be responsible to do ONE thing. Maybe you want to mix, maybe you want to produce, play bass? But only one of those things. So it wouldn't take much time from anyone really and we'd give ourselves a few months to finish it, so it doesn't stress anyone out.

If you read the Cape rules it's actually pretty reasonable, you just need to stay in communication. That's the key.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I was only able to skim the literature but I'd be interested in signing on as a songwriter if that is even an option. I write songs...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:41 pm

clinton wrote:I was only able to skim the literature but I'd be interested in signing on as a songwriter if that is even an option. I write songs...

It is an option actually. The only criteria is that you have 2 or 3 songs that are ready to go (backups).

Would you want to participate in a local effort of that kind if we were to do one?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Well sure then. Sign me up to mix.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 pm

If we do one I would want the songwriter(s) and the performer(s) to be separate entities. For example, If Clinton writes a song he would have to let go of his baby and let the producer and performers do what they will with it, including the vocals. I think it would lead to more interesting results.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:If we do one I would want the songwriter(s) and the performer(s) to be separate entities. For example, If Clinton writes a song he would have to let go of his baby and let the producer and performers do what they will with it, including the vocals. I think it would lead to more interesting results.

I'd be game. I reserve the right to completely hate the producer's job and ridicule them endlessly on such poor judgement, but I'd be game.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:29 pm

clinton wrote:I'd be game. I reserve the right to completely hate the producer's job and ridicule them endlessly on such poor judgement, but I'd be game.

Then we may have ourselves a fun little project.

..Unless you want to produce and someone else compose? There are many different options. Once I get an idea of how many people are interested we can see what everyone wants to have as a role.

I also have to clear this with Malcolm, to see if he's cool with hosting this on his site. Then I have to put together the rules of engagement, but I think this could be fun.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:42 am

clinton wrote:I'd be game. I reserve the right to completely hate the producer's job and ridicule them endlessly on such poor judgement, but I'd be game.

That sounds fair. The rest of us reserve the right to make endless comparisons and point out similarities between your song and John Mayer tunes. :-P
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:07 am

macrae11 wrote:

That sounds fair. The rest of us reserve the right to make endless comparisons and point out similarities between your song and John Mayer tunes. :-P

Ok, I'm totes in, then. "Your chorus is a wonderland!"
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:
macrae11 wrote:

Ok, I'm totes in, then. "Your chorus is a wonderland!"

You interested in this little game Christian?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:30 am

Drumwaiter wrote:You interested in this little game Christian?

Natch! I'm a Bandwich veteran, I did that project last year, and I'm writing all-new material this week for my set on Friday.

If you want quantity over quality, I'm your man!

In all seriousness, what are we looking at? One song? Two? More? All I'd have to do is write some melodies on my Voyager that the group can pick from, right?

I've mentioned soundcloud before, but the fact that it lets you comment on specific portions of a song makes it a great, simple tool for these kinds of projects.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 am

I don't know yet I'm still working the details and trying to figure out some guidelines to follow. I'll let you all know soon.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

macrae11 wrote:

John Mayer is a musical genuis!

*sings Love Soon*
*gags*
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Jef » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm

I'd be interested in participating in this sort of a collaboration. You need a bass player?
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Jef wrote:I'd be interested in participating in this sort of a collaboration. You need a bass player?

Possibly. I'm gonna suss this out and see how many people are interested and what they prefer to contribute and then we'll see what our options are, and how many teams we can form. If there are two teams and 6 people wanting to play bass (God forbid....lol) Then we may have to go with secondary preferences. Fair enough?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Jef wrote:I'd be interested in participating in this sort of a collaboration. You need a bass player?

Possibly. I'm gonna suss this out and see how many people are interested and what they prefer to contribute and then we'll see what our options are, and how many teams we can form. If there are two teams and 6 people wanting to play bass (God forbid....lol) Then we may have to go with secondary preferences. Fair enough?

'k ...sounds good to me.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby roachie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:6 people wanting to play bass

There aren't 6 bass players... but that sounds like fun, I'd be up for something like that now that I'm online again...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:26 pm

So, as an update, after Matt explaining his basic plan to us, I am happy to say that it looks like this is going to happen here. I think it has the potential to be a fun little process and most importantly will bring folks together in a community project.

As has been asked, if you are interested in something like this in any capacity, let us know and we'll keep you all posted as this progresses. As well, if you're aware of anyone in our general locale who might be into it, who doesn't visit our little spot, pass on the word.

Ultimately, this is Matt's baby, so we'll wait and see what details he has cooked up for us after he gets things finalized.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby RoadDog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

He's still too French though...
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 am

Oh you missed that memo then. All the songs actually have to be Acadian fiddle tunes.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:As has been asked, if you are interested in something like this in any capacity, let us know

Just for the record, my first/second/third choices to make contributions are

1) Moog Voyager (monophonic synth)
2) background vocals (vocoder optional)
3) guitar or bass

I can be PM'd here, or emailed at chrisleblanc79 at the gmail dotting the com.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks everyone for your interest. Like Malcolm said I'm going to think about how I want to do this exactly before proceeding.

I'm thinking of doing this in the fall when peoples schedules are more relaxed. Summers are usually busy for us musical folks.

You'll be hearing from me again on this later on...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Next

Return to Sounds Good...