Field Recording Device of Choice?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Field Recording Device of Choice?

Postby Cryptowen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Just curious.
The last few months I've been getting back into sound recording big time. Usually I use a Zoom H2 mic, but recently I've also been making use of my old cassette recorders that have been sitting in the closet for about ten years.

What do you guys use as far as portable recorders go?
Cryptowen

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:43 pm

I like the Zoom H2. For something portable and relatively inexpensive you can't go wrong with that.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am

I have a BR 600. It's not really a field recorder but it's very nice and portable so I can't see why you couldn't use it as a field recorder. The nice thing about using one of these is that you can record multiple tracks and make a decent demo with it. I use the stereo built in mics for writing and jotting down ideas, and then there are two inputs that you can use aswell.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 am

I've used a variety of stuff. Zoom H4 works really well. I actually use a camera a fair amount, even if I just need audio, simply because they're always around the shop. If I'm doing anything bigger I'll grab the laptop and the portable Pro Tools rig. I've got a gig bag for the whole system that I can set up or put away in about 5 minutes. If i'm doing anything for a full day, or more complex I'll take that.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:52 am

What I/O do you use for your potable system Andrew?
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Laptop + MobilePre It being totally self powered, it can go anywhere... battery permitting.

I have been using the "video camera" on my Palm Pre a lot these days for quick audio clips. Surprising audio quality.

I have been contemplating something like the Zoom... See: http://forums.middleaudio.com/viewtopic ... light=zoom
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Depends on how big the gig is. Both are digi I/O's because I'm generally recording to Pro Tools. For multitracking I'm using the Digi 002, which I've actually tracked several albums with on location, or for smaller stuff it's the Mbox Mini. In a pinch I've also used my laptops built in soundcard to Logic.

dylanger wrote:What I/O do you use for your potable system Andrew?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...