Sennheiser 441

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Sennheiser 441

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Easily my MVP purchase of the year. It's instant snare drum success no matter what I'm looking for. Thanks for turning me on to it Andrew!

Only down side is that I haven't really put the M201 through it's paces yet... I smell a mic shootout this fall.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:54 pm

The 441 is a win win win scenario type of mic. Definitely a desert island mic. Works on anything drums, percussion, wind, guitar, even vocals. Make sure you play with the brilliance switch as well. Can really make things pop.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Sennheiser 441

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon May 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Now that you've gotten some time in with the M201, what are your thoughts of it as compared to the 441 for snare? I orginally picked it up as a guitar cabinet mic but lately it's living on snare top.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Really really dig the 201 on snare top. I've only used it on that one song, but it worked perfectly for it. I think for any pop production where you need the snare to cut through a dense mix it would be great. I always loved the 441 because of the thickness and weight it gave the snare, especially for any larger dimension drums. However having it on the bottom still gave 75% of that I found, which filled in everything the 201 was missing. So maybe for a slower tune with a deeper snare, or jazzier type stuff I'll probably still reach for the 441, but for the next pop production that needs a cracking snare, I'll probably go with the 201.
Horses for courses type scenario.

I really dug the drum sound on that tune though, I'll have to send you the first mix. The only thing I wasn't in love with was the overheads, and the room could have been tweaked a little bit. Loved mixing the resonant head on the floor tom. Really made the breakdown rock.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 pm

macrae11 wrote:Really really dig the 201 on snare top. I've only used it on that one song, but it worked perfectly for it.

Not true. You've used it on the whole Jake album. ;-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 pm

You sure about that? It didn't really stand out to me until that one country tune. I thought we used it on guitars for that session.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 pm

macrae11 wrote:You sure about that? It didn't really stand out to me until that one country tune. I thought we used it on guitars for that session.

Positive. We used it on guitars for the overdubs.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...