Bass Pedals (not f/x, but the instruments)

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Bass Pedals (not f/x, but the instruments)

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 pm

I was fortunate enough to catch Lou Barlow and the Missing Men playing in Toronto this past Saturday, and Lou quipped about playing the bass with his feet ("some Geddy Lee $#!t right here"). I couldn't quite see well enough, but noted he was using a Roland PK-5A.

I looked it up online, and find that these things are midi controllers, but still traditionally used for bass. I'm kind of embarassed that I've never known about these until just now!

What can you guys tell me about these things (in general, not just this model)? Any neat little tips/tricks/uses? Do you know of anyone locally who uses them, live? Any models that are good or great? Or better yet, cheap?

I'm thinking they'd be great for playing synth pads to go with an acoustic performance (like for this old chestnut of mine, minus the lead lines).

I'm liking anything that facilitates "live" electronic music, and think one of these would be really fun to experiment with.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:40 pm

I know very little about the subject, but apparently the Moog Taurus is one of the sought after pieces for this niche. Image

They've also re-released it, but it seems like it's going for around $2K which seems a tad ridiculous to me.

macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:52 pm

macrae11 wrote:They've also re-released it, but it seems like it's going for around $2K which seems a tad ridiculous to me

I didn't bring it up, for that reason ;) Weirdly, I've always seen pictures of the Moog Taurus, but never really thought about it, what it did, how to play it, nothing. It was just so unobtainable, I didn't care to bother. Mental block.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Greg H. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:34 pm

There are a lot of organs with bass pedals that would probably cheaper than buying a midi pedal. But then you would have a big organ in front of you and you wouldn't be able to program samples and stuff into them
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 am

Greg H. wrote:you would have a big organ in front of you

You posted this more than 12 hours ago and Drumwaiter still hasn't made a dirty joke about it?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:
Greg H. wrote:you would have a big organ in front of you

You posted this more than 12 hours ago and Drumwaiter still hasn't made a dirty joke about it?

Sorry I was building gobos. It won't happen again.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...