De-Esser Live... I'm addicted.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: De-Esser Live... I'm addicted.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 pm

macrae11 wrote:It's actually a pretty good vocal mic.

I haven't found it to be a very good "anything" mic. I like it on toms, but I doubt it would beat a 441 in a blind test.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:57 pm

I would guess it would for a deep male voice. It was used a lot for radio broadcasts. Pure speculation, but I've never tried the 441 on a big male vox where I loved it, but the 421 has been quite usable once or twice. Never directly compared them though.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 pm

macrae11 wrote:I would guess it would for a deep male voice. It was used a lot for radio broadcasts. Pure speculation, but I've never tried the 441 on a big male vox where I loved it, but the 421 has been quite usable once or twice. Never directly compared them though.

I love the 441 on a rack tom. I just don't have enough 441s. 421 are cheaper...therefore, they win. For now.... :twisted:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:01 pm

But why buy more of something that you don't really like? I have three and they work great, and I know your OCD requests that you have the same mic on all the toms, but does it really matter?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm

macrae11 wrote:But why buy more of something that you don't really like? I have three and they work great, and I know your OCD requests that you have the same mic on all the toms, but does it really matter?

It doesn't matter to "me" but as commercial facility to have four 421s may be expected. Currently we only have 2.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm

So when you get that gig just buy two more. They'll pay for themselves instantly, otherwise...
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:11 pm

macrae11 wrote:It's actually a pretty good vocal mic.
It's certainly a popular mic for broadcast, although I can't understand why it would beat most of the competition, even taking cost into account.

I remember talking to Gordie Miller about this kind of thing, and he reinforced the concept of it sometimes not being about a "better" sound as much as a "different" sound. Stations and their main on air mic were considered something recognizable, and once they found a combination of mic and processing they liked they would stick to it. Even I remember when most stations in Saint John all used different models of mic. Now, not so much. 421 or RE20 seems to be what most have now.

The last time I was at CFBC, they were still using the SM7 which has been their main mic for several decades.

I find it hilarious that most on air mics have the bottom tweaked in so hard to make up for most of the talent lacking any depth to their voices these days. I've had people ask me why the voices are so "bass" heavy on the radio these days. :lol:

Singing voice into a 421 hasn't really ever done it for me, and I have tried more than a few times just out of interest. Really heavy upper mids for my liking.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Yeah the only times I've had it work were on bass voices that balance out that middiness.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...