Is Video Killing the Concert Vibe?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Is Video Killing the Concert Vibe?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm

"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Good discussion - quickly to be rendered moot, when video-capture devices can be more easily and cheaply worn in hats, in eye-glasses, etc.

But for now: "Jeff Tweedy...says there's something more at stake than just distracting the lead singer (which is 'just rude'). 'I think you're surrendering your own memory to a very imperfect medium,' he says. 'Our memories are imperfect to begin with but that's what's beautiful about it.'"

From when I saw The Cure perform in August 2004, I have 3 sets of memories. 1) photos from a disposable camera I smuggled in. 2) professional-quality video done of the concert, as a bonus for some internet subscribers at the time. 3) 1st-person memories!

All three diverge somewhat. I watch the dvd I made more than look at the pictures, and recently looking at the pictures again gave me a better remembrance of where I was standing in relation to the band, etc. From my mind's memory, I also remember that the pictures made it look like we were further away than we were.

And of course, the audio sounded much better in person than it did on those videos (and soundboard mp3's that someone recorded...a 4th version of the memories that I forgot about!).

Personally, I prefer someone in the audience to be quietly tending their tech than loudly blabbing to their friends and ignoring the music, which I see show-goers around here do all the time. BUT, I suppose someone who cares about the music that much, wouldn't be one of the people who would blab and ignore the show. Maybe I'm generalizing?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Part of me really wonders if this isn't a "problem" that time will take care of. Isn't this just a novelty of being able to do this via the technology that's making it so common, and eventually that novelty will pass?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Part of me really wonders if this isn't a "problem" that time will take care of. Isn't this just a novelty of being able to do this via the technology that's making it so common, and eventually that novelty will pass?

Well, audio bootleggers have been around forever, and, despite seeming "antiquated" now compared to video bootleggers, will likely still be around. Like I say earlier, I predict more video bootlegging in the future, only it will be much less noticeable. Which, in one sense (having a statue holding a camera, bothering performers and attendees both) is a problem time will solve.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...