Microphone selection for beatboxers.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Microphone selection for beatboxers.

Postby roachie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 pm

A buddy of mine, Dave Mazerolle, is a beatboxer, and he's using a radio-shack-esque mic to get the sound he's looking for. I wager that there is a more pro-line mic out there that'll do the job better, but am not sure what it is... He's keen on extreme lows and extreme highs for his tone, but as with the style, needs something hand held, portable, possibly wireless, and won't freak out if the cap gets cupped. He's tried 58's, and they have been good, 57's were a no-go, and a "kick drum" mic that was good for the boom but sheit for the highs (obviously).... any ideas?
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Definately something with a pop filter, as you find out when you try an SM57.

The thing with newer model "bass" mics is the scooped out nature of their response.

Something more natural like a 421 with a pop filter might be cool. You could adjust the response with the high pass. He may not like the feel of it though.

A Beta58 would be substantially different from an SM for this application, so make sure he tries both models. An SM57 with the optional pop filter might be somethng to try, and is certainly an affordable option. LD usually stocks the filters.

Stick to moving coil dynamics, don't waste your time with condensers as I guarantee they won't hold up to the abuse.

Any good vocal mic is worth a try really.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:42 pm

He appears to have decided on an M88.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:51 pm

That would be a wicked mic for beat boxing. I should have thought to mention that one.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...