DAWs and Compound Time

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 am

macrae11 wrote:There's not much to expand on because that's pretty much it. I didn't even start up a click, which maybe would be totally different. Pretty much I started a session, set the meter to 6/8, and looked at the grid change. I'll look into in more this week when I get a second.

The grid divided into 8th notes right? That's what Cubase does, and I'm pretty sure that's what Logic does too.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:55 am

Drumwaiter wrote:So it's settled. Pro Tools does it right. MIDI doesn't seem to be the bottleneck, only individual programs.
I know I'm old school here, but will another sequencer connected by MIDI recognize the time code correctly?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:So it's settled. Pro Tools does it right. MIDI doesn't seem to be the bottleneck, only individual programs.
I know I'm old school here, but will another sequencer connected by MIDI recognize the time code correctly?

It seems it would depend on the programming of the device itself, there's nothing to suggest that MIDI would prevent that data from being sent or received.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:... there's nothing to suggest that MIDI would prevent that data from being sent or received.
But what would the timing be is my question? I suggest you try one more test to see what happens.

Sonar with it's "incorrect" way of handling this issue will still sync with correct timing to any MIDI sequencer and they will both read "beats" in time with one another. Will ProTools with it's "correct" way do the same?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Sonar with it's "incorrect" way of handling this issue will still sync with correct timing to any MIDI sequencer and they will both read "beats" in time with one another. Will ProTools with it's "correct" way do the same?

Without turning this into a Sonor vs. Pro Tools thing...

That test would probably depend on the sequencer you're trying to sync to. I can do a test using my Kurzweil as the sequencer with Cubase and with Pro Tools. But really, how the Kurzweil reacts to the test is also a factor. I'm game for some science though. I'll look into it, and see what I find.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 am

Drumwaiter wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:Sonar with it's "incorrect" way of handling this issue will still sync with correct timing to any MIDI sequencer and they will both read "beats" in time with one another. Will ProTools with it's "correct" way do the same?

Without turning this into a Sonor vs. Pro Tools thing...

That test would probably depend on the sequencer you're trying to sync to. ....
That's the point I'm trying to make. I don't know if it will.

I'm genuinely curious as to how it will react.

In this case, I don't see it as a ProTools VS Sonar thing, as much as another possible ProTools VS everyone else thing.

I'm not saying ProTools getting it to work properly isn't a good thing for ProTools users. I'm just saying pronouncing it not a MIDI issue may be a little bit premature.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:21 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote: I'm just saying pronouncing it not a MIDI issue may be a little bit premature.

I'm just saying that all the evidence points to it not being a MIDI issue, but an issue in the programming of the MIDI device in question. Whether it be a DAW from 2010 or a drum machine from 1986. MIDI as a medium doesn't seem to be the problem since there is programming built into it that specifically allows for those kind of events as I've already posted.

It's like plugging your phone charger into the wall and accusing the outlet of only ever being able to produce 700mA based on that observation. Declaring that the outlet could potentially produce 15A wouldn't be premature either.

That being said, I too don't know what the results of my Kurzweil to PT test will be, but I have a pretty good idea of what will happen.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...