Avid finally gets it.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Avid finally gets it.

Postby macrae11 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:17 pm

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Too ... p=AV-HP-S2

Fully native solutions, ADC at all levels, 192 tracks at all levels, integrated AAF, MXF, OMF, and mp3 options, EUCON support, more post options. I think they did everything right this time.

I just upgraded our HD system to 8 yesterday, so we get a free upgrade. I'll let you know if it tastes as good as it smells.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:07 am

This is huge! This means even Malcolm can use Pro Tools now.

Andrew, since I just upgraded to 8 does that mean I can also get a free upgrade to 9?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:26 pm

From what I understand, any upgrades to 8 purchased after Oct 4th will get a free 9 upgrade.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Tim Davidson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 am

Pro Tools going native changes everything. I was planning to go with an HD rig soon but this opens the door to using any and all interfaces plus good old VST plug ins. You're right Andrew, it's a game changer.

So glad I waited.
Tim Davidson

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 am

Tim Davidson wrote:
So glad I waited.

Yeah same here. Andrew told us to wait and he was right.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Tim Davidson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:47 am

oops, I think I misspoke - VST plug ins don't look like they are part of the change. I can live with that but that would have been nice; bring out the wrappers.
Tim Davidson

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:00 am

VST wrapper is definitely a worthwhile investment. I got it mostly just to take advantage of some cool free plugs.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Tim Davidson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:00 pm

OK Matt, Andrew (anyone) - what are the advantages of going HD (native) over going PT 9 (native) with the production toolkit? I'm not seeing huge differences aside from no TDM plug ins.
Tim Davidson

Postby macrae11 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Yeah there's not a whole lot of extras but there are a few. Track by track input monitoring, which is very handy and I use all the time. Track punch which allows you to punch multiple tracks all at different times. I pretty much only usethat when I'm doing multi instrument overruns. Separate solo afl/pal bus which I never use. Then there's heat which is TDM only and a few advanced post features like LTC/VITC integration via the sync HD and 9 pin control.

Some requirements for a few specific situations, but not a lot for day to day work.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Tim Davidson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks Andrew. Since my interest in PT is only for post then non HD will probably do the trick. I do love input monitoring but Cubase gives me that and most of the music related features you mentioned.

HD still requires pretty serious Avid hardware - $$$.
Tim Davidson

Postby macrae11 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Yeah you can always do the Aurora or something that. I would like to hear the new Avid interfaces though. They're getting great reviews.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 am

So last week we upgraded to Pro Tools 9 and we've moved away from using the 003. Until we get the Aurora later this winter, we're using the Fireface with Pro Tools and it works beautifully.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 am

That's great Matt. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 pm

macrae11 wrote:That's great Matt. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

How was it?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Absolutely brilliant. My first time running PT on third party hardware, and there were almost zero hitches. My only complaint is that third party hardware/drivers/software mixers add one more level of complexity. That just requites me breaking my habits of where to go looking for certain settings, where they used to be directly in PT, now they're in a third party app. Once I get used to that, it's essentially completely transparent.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...