nice replacement speaker?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

nice replacement speaker?

Postby dylanger » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 am

I want to put a nicer speaker in my fender pro jr. So I'm wondering what you audio folks like?
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:17 am

I'm a fan of of Jenson Alnico's for clean fender tone. Or are you looking for something raunchier?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Im thinking fender clean, something different then my bassman, like a vibrolux
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 pm

The bassman and the vibrolux both use Alnico Jenson speakers. For the vibrolux tone, I fell that those speakers are quite crucial to the "vibrolux" tone, whereas the bassman is still very recognizably a bassman, with a few different speaker models, at least the one's that I've heard.

All that being said the Pro Junior will give a very different feel, simply based on the amp being so different. I've only heard a PJ with the stock speaker, and one replaced with a Celestion. Can't remember if it was a greenback or not. I'm not a big fan of Eminence speakers, except for a few of their bass speakers, so I've found most Fender amps can be improved by swapping out their Eminence speaker, or the Fender brand speaker, which I think is a rebranded Eminence.

You should try out a few different external speaker cabs with varying models of speakers to see if there's one that suits your taste, before buying and installing.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

I don't think my bassman has those speakers in it, mine was made in us in 96 so it's different then Aarons bassman.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Ah right, I think I remember you telling me that. I'm pretty sure the new bassman's, and the vibrolux's, have identical speakers, which are the Jensons.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 pm

macrae11 wrote:You should try out a few different external speaker cabs with varying models of speakers to see if there's one that suits your taste, before buying and installing.

Yes.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...