Crazy times in recording.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Crazy times in recording.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:12 am

We are living in an age where after I was asked to tune and micro edit most of the lead vocals of an album project, I was told that the cello note that I chose to lengthen sounded "unnatural" and since it couldn't be played that way live I should change it back.

The mind boggles.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Crazy times in recording.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:37 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:We are living in an age where after I was asked to tune and micro edit most of the lead vocals of an album project, I was told that the cello note that I chose to lengthen sounded "unnatural" and since it couldn't be played that way live I should change it back.

The mind boggles.

Hahaha...

I was asked to turn down the drums on a mix with absolutely no drums in it, I replied "Sure thing." I then proceeded to roll off some of the frequencies below 200Hz and he was very happy that the drums were not as loud in the mix. I didn't even blink and I gladly took the cheque that paid for our new Mac Pro after he was satisfied with where the "drums" sat in the mix.

Now that we have clients that pay the bills around here, I seldom have time to argue the small stuff. I actually even miss a lot of the stuff that should drive me nuts since I just want every client to leave feeling like they were in control. It's important to many people to appear in control. To that end they will sometimes make rather comical requests or demands just to feel like you're earning your day's rate.

I hear where you are coming from though... Sometimes as hard as you try to understand where the client is coming from, it's just incomprehensible.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...