Looking For Recording/Production Experience

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Looking For Recording/Production Experience

Postby gamblor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm

For those who don’t know me well, my name is Alex Gamble and I have recently become a casual participant in the middleaudio forum while dabbling in the world of audio and recording. I’ve spent the better part of last year recording the bands and artists whom I’ve performed with, and just recently I’ve connected with some other artists who are interested in my time and skills. One artist in particular has gone so far as to express interest in a full-length album with me behind the board.

While all of this is very exciting , I am quickly realizing that there is only so much I can learn without proper guidance. Not to mention that the longer I spend on my own, the more likely I am to become set in my amateur-level methods and procedures. In short, I am putting this message out there to see if there is anybody willing and able to take a young ambitious newcomer under their wing to provide the guidance I speak of. Whether it be once a month or seven days a week, I will do my best to fit in as you see fit and help out wherever I can.

I currently live in Fredericton New Brunswick. I am eager to learn, reliable and punctual, have experience on both sides of the mixing board, and have been to at least one (1) Peter Gabriel concert with Drumwaiter. Feel free to respond to this thread or send a PM if you’re interested in working with me. If you would like to hear samples of existing work please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks all,

- Alex
gamblor
Bronze Member

Re: Looking For Recording/Production Experience

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:22 pm

gamblor wrote:... and have been to at least one (1) Peter Gabriel concert with Drumwaiter.

At least!

gamblor wrote:Feel free to respond to this thread or send a PM if you’re interested in working with me. If you would like to hear samples of existing work please don’t hesitate to ask.

As much as I know you to be a very smart and all-arround awesome guy, I really would like to hear some of your recent work nonetheless.

Let 'er dangle, as the kids say. Besides you can learn a lot from using this forum as a sounding board. That's how I've learned a lot of things early on. Lately what I'm learning is just from doing work on my own but also doing a lot of work with Andrew.

It's all very overwhelming, and some days I want shoot myself in the face. Andrew is always there to hand me the gun... loaded with blanks as a reminder to stop being so dramatic.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:As much as I know you to be a very smart and all-arround awesome guy, I really would like to hear some of your recent work nonetheless.

Sure thing! Matt, I've sent you an email of my latest and greatest. Were still in the tracking phase, but go ahead and tear it apart as much as you like! Out of respect for the artist, I'll keep that one off the forum for now but if anybody else would like to hear it just let me know.

When I'm home tonight I'll dig out a few other tunes for you fine folks.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Do you have any experience with Pro Tools Alex?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby gamblor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 pm

macrae11 wrote:Do you have any experience with Pro Tools Alex?

Not an expert, but I’ve spent a good amount of time with it and am familiar with the interface. The campus radio station in Fredericton (CHSR) ran protocols on an iMac. I would use their production room mostly for creating ads and promos.

I also ran some off the floor band recordings for a benefit CD the station planned on releasing. Unfortunately, after graduation there was nobody who took the initiative to finish the project.
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby gamblor » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi all. Here is a link to some of the off-the-floor work I had done with my band Virgo-A at rehearsals. The first 3 on the page were done with my full setup. http://virgoa.org/audio.php

I am currently working with a band called "Harmonic Mean". We are almost finished mixing their first demo. The overall quality is considerably better than the link above.

Edit: The boys just put it up on their web page. See here: http://www.reverbnation.com/harmonicmean
gamblor
Bronze Member

Re:

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:57 pm

gamblor wrote:Hi all. Here is a link to some of the off-the-floor work I had done with my band Virgo-A at rehearsals. The first 3 on the page were done with my full setup. http://virgoa.org/audio.php

I am currently working with a band called "Harmonic Mean". We are almost finished mixing their first demo. The overall quality is considerably better than the link above.

Edit: The boys just put it up on their web page. See here: http://www.reverbnation.com/harmonicmean
I'll be giving this stuff a spin later on.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 pm

"Mary Jo's Cafe"... Decent mix. Done on what?

Recorded how, and with what? Always wanna know.

The other two on that page sound like a mic in the room kinda jam tapes. True?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby gamblor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 am

The other 2 on the page were done with a zoom palm recorder as far as I know. I wasn’t involved in the recording of those. We’re in the process of re-recording them with my setup.

“Mary Joe’s” was done with me using a presonus firepod into cubase. Tracking was done with each instrument doing separate takes. Oktava MK-012 condensers were used for drum overheads, vocals, and acoustic guitar. SM57 on electric guitar and toms. Sennheiser 421 for kick drum. Shure Unidyne on Snare drum. Bass guitar was DI. Mixed on behringer B2031a monitors.
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:31 pm

gamblor wrote:Tracking was done with each instrument doing separate takes.
So nothing was taken together? What came first and what was the process like?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm listening to "Virgo A" stuff that you did... (the first three)

I'm just curious if you check polarity between your OH mics and close mics on the kit. I'm not talking about any of this nudge everything on the grid kinda nonsense... I'm saying flip each close mic and see what it does in the blend. This includes the bass drum. When you're mixing OHs as such a great percentage of your drum sound, which you are, it is critical when adding close mics for "body" to do this.

If you haven't, you should try this and see what you hear.

BTW, I think I like these mixes even more than the one that you thought was "better". Isn't that always the way? If find the sounds are blending better, but maybe that's just me.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...