Headphones... again.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Headphones... again.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:56 pm

So, in my quest to try some new headphones, I found my way back to an old friend, so to speak.

In 2009, Shure came out with their first crack at "studio" cans. As part of my trying as many things as I could, I was lucky enough to give both the SRH440 and SRH840 a spin at the SF booth at CITT last summer. Although a big fan of Shure, it just never came to me to think of them and headphones. Not only was my first impression of both models very positive, but I actually preferred the less expensive SRH440 when comparing the two.

Not only are the SRH440 affordable enough to become my main tracking headphones, but my first impressions are that they may be something very special for vocal work, something I was really looking for. The cable, adapter, folding design, and carrying bag are all bonuses.

At $100 street price, anyone looking for some decent cans should consider the SRH440 when looking at their options. They are easy to overlook with Shure being new to the race, but they live up to their solid reputation of value and performance.

Shure Headphones
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Headphones... again.

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks for posting this. A decent pair of home-studio headphones has been on my want list for a while now (technically, ever since you strongly suggested I get myself a pair). This sounds like it would be a good starting point for me, in terms of research and trying things out.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Headphones are a very personal thing. Even fit plays a major part in what you like. It's why most recordists will have options as to what they have on hand when working. Not as many as, say, microphones, but options are a must.

I was looking for something very specific when I choose these particular Shure cans. I already have several types on hand here which I like for different things and reasons. The Shure 440s are pretty mid forward without being "thin" to my ear. Something I like for a tracking headphone, especially for voice to cut without being too out of balance.

Trying things out is the only way of being sure what you're buying. Unfortunately, the amp/headphone combination has an effect on what the eventual end result is. Also, when trying speakers in general including headphones, the contrast between sets can really mess with your perception. I find having three different options helpful when making decisions.

Figure out exactly what you're looking for, and then go shopping. Otherwise, prepare to but the first decent sounding thing you try.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby gamblor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

I recently bought a set of ATH M50's. They have a very present, tight, but not overpowering low end. One thing I can never get right in my mixes are the low frequencies (cough... my room sucks... cough) but strapping on these ensures I get them sorted out before I bounce anything. Love em.
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 am

I've heard good things about the 50's I've got a number of 40s here that I like, but would like to try a pair of the 50's just to see the difference.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 pm

I have liked a lot of AT Headphones over the years. I too have not tried the ATH M50 but they consistently show up with great reviews.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Headphones? I'll talk headphones. Well headphones that I have experience with anyways.

At the studio we have (3) pairs of Fostex T50RP, (1) pair of Fostex T40RP, (1) pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, and (1) pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO.

What I'd like to do is sell the Fostex headphones and the Sennheisers, buy two more pairs of DT 770 PRO, and buy two pairs of DT 770 M.

I can't stand the Fostex headphones. There's just not much redeeming about them. I don't care if Alain saw them on Lars Ulrich for the "One" music video, or whatever the case was. You have to consider why his headband was wrapped around the headphones... It was to keep those goofy things on. I just don't care for them, especially when the Beyers aren't that much more expensive. They sounds okay but I really don't like the construction at all. We joke around between the usual session players all the time to see who's gonna end up with them. I'm hoping by the end of the year the answer is "no one". Jon Goud will often bring in his own DT 770s though, which makes it better, but then one person is usually always stuck with the Fostex. The main problem is they don't stay on your head, and they don't isolate anything. It's funny though I haven't actually addressed this with Alain yet. I just keep putting a pair on his work bench when they are not working, which happens often enough. Sadly, he always manages to fix them...

The Sennheisers aren't bad. They sound decent enough and isolate very well from ambiant noise but they are very umcomfortable over long periods of time. They are very tight on the noggin. However they are great at isolating so they are useful for now. The Beyerdynamic DT 770 M would be the solution to these though. Sound better, great islotation too, and much more comfortable.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO are pretty great. They are a bit hyped in the lows and the highs, but they still sounds great and are super comfortable. I'd buy two more pairs of these no problem. They are about $200 or so a pair, but well worth it IMHO.

Also last but not least, I have a pair of Shure in-ears (SLC4) that I use for myself. I have custom molds for them and that helps boost the bass. I really like them all-around though and they obviously offer great isolation. I use them when I'm playing drums in a session, or if I'm editing in the control room and there's a lot of stuff going on around me and I need to focus. They were a really good investment and I can bring them with me when I do sessions at other studios.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Brian G. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 am

Does anyone here have an opinion on the "Beats" line of headphones/mics that have appeared all over this year's American Idol set?
Brian G.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Brian G. wrote:Does anyone here have an opinion on the "Beats" line of headphones/mics that have appeared all over this year's American Idol set?
I'm pretty sure I read that mic was made specifically for use on Idol by Blue and Interscope/"Beats by Dre"/Line6. It's a promo thing with Interscope's involvement in "Idol".

I certainly have never used "Beats by Dre" headphones, but when you know how they came to be, you'll see where they sit in the marketplace. If you have the time, watch this and you'll see how the product came about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsI7DqgHyM

Jimmy Iovine is a very smart guy

I never watch the Idol thing, but I've heard that mic is so bad you can even tell on TV. Got me curious now.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:08 pm

As a side note, the fact that I can sit in my kitchen and listen to a presentation with Jimmy Iovine right now is pretty much as cool as it gets.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:16 am

So my Shure 440's arrived last night, and man, what a difference. This post is less a professional review of them, and more an account of how a pair of 'good' phones first sound to someone who's not used to them :)

Now, keep in mind that for close to a decade, I've been using the same pair of plastic, $20 headphones with a volume attenuator attached. Ones with foam padding over the ear pieces so they sit right against your ears, not the ones that go over your ears like the 440's. I nobly, romantically, and erroneously always reasoned that if I could make a mix sound good through these, then it must be alright. (please ignore the face-palm smily, should you choose to respond)

Superficially, I had to get used to the isolation these things give me. With the cheap headphones, a lot of outside noise comes in, and it was always a little comforting to hear my wife puttering around while I had the phones on. I was honestly starting to feel a bit lonely with the 440's on, as they cancel out a lot of outside background noise. Isolation is good, just a little nerve-wracking at first.

The first thing I did was to open a simple demo I recorded a few weeks ago (one track of rhythm bass, one track of 'lead' bass noodling). I noticed right away that lead line sounded way more nasally than I remembered it sounding. I tweaked the EQ a little, and quickly got it sounding nicer to me.

I next puttered around throwing together a little demo using my new Harmonist pedal (drum machine pitch-shifted, detuned clean guitar chords (+10/-10), distorted harmonized e-bow (3-voice), and distorted harmonized guitar 'solo' noodling (2-voice). One big thing I noticed was fatigue: with the cups around my ears, the drum sounds I was hearing just felt a little too physical. For a plus, the distortion pedal I was using had 4 EQ dials, and I think the 440's really let me notice every little difference between my adjustments.

When I was done, I put on a remastered CD of The Cure's "Disintegration" to properly test them out, and started listening to the first track, Plainsong. Ok, the windchimes at the beginning sound really well-defined now, a little clearer, and I can place them better from left-to-right now. Cool.

Then the song proper kicks in, and I'm wondering where the hell all these powerful, booming bass sounds are coming from. It's like a thick, low wall is assaulting my head, and the isolation these headphones provide just emphasize it even more. After a few minutes, I skipped to "Disintegration," and had the same feeling. It was honestly a bit...I don't know if "overwhelming" or "disconcerting" is the right word, maybe something in between. Anyway, by this time, my hearing felt too fatigued to do much more testing, so I called it a night.

So, I think the fatigue will go away as I get more used to them, while the clarity they provide will help me sort sounds out a lot better. I feel like I will be able to control and manipulate my mixes much more effectively than before, although I'm not positive that I would like to sit around listening to my CD's through them just yet :)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Nothing funner than discovering new quality gear/sounds for the first time huh?
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:Nothing funner than discovering new quality gear/sounds for the first time huh?

It's an eye-opener, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to trying some more comparisons, but all of that new bass frequency has me scared!

Of course...I haven't tried my Moog with them yet :D~ If you don't hear from me for a few days, it'll be because "it went well."
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 pm

You have to start with the listening chain or it's all moot but next the same thing will happen with a great mic, then a great mic pre and so the saga goes........
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:You have to start with the listening chain or it's all moot but next the same thing will happen with a great mic, then a great mic pre and so the saga goes........

I'm at the great compressor level. Last fall I was at the great mic pre stage. Maybe soon I'll be at the "OMG 196K is way better!!!" stage... But I won't hold my breath yet.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Don't hold your breath for the great converter discovery either. You kids thankfully missed the days when they were still making converters crappy enough that my mom could hear the difference.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:06 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:So, I think the fatigue will go away as I get more used to them, while the clarity they provide will help me sort sounds out a lot better. I feel like I will be able to control and manipulate my mixes much more effectively than before, although I'm not positive that I would like to sit around listening to my CD's through them just yet :)
Those headphones you picked up have a substantial bit of isolation but aren't the most uncomfortable by a long shot. Everything you described is very true of those and others like them though.

One thing that you do need to be conscious of when using closed type cans like the 440 is to be careful of your listening level over time. It is too easy to lose track of increasing volume when you lack the real time comparison to sounds in the space with you. Keeping things reasonable will help avoid the fatigue you discovered yourself.

The issue of usability with headphones is truly a personal thing. What some love, others can find unusable. Like many things, once you have tried several options you can more clearly discover your preferences.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:One thing that you do need to be conscious of when using closed type cans like the 440 is to be careful of your listening level over time. It is too easy to lose track of increasing volume when you lack the real time comparison to sounds in the space with you. Keeping things reasonable will help avoid the fatigue you discovered yourself.

Very excellent tip, and I betcha anything that's why the bass seemed so strong at first, too (I can still really notice the bass if I jack the volume up too much). Thanks! I can easily picture listening to a single instrument at one volume, then increasing the volume as more and more instruments are in the mix, etc. Heck, I didn't listen to that Cure tune until after I'd finished recording a demo.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...