Hearing Protection... When will they learn?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

How often do you protect your hearing from excessive loud noise and/or music?

Most of the time. Whenever possible and reasonable.
83%
Only some of the time.
17%
Rarely.
No votes
Never. I like the ringing in my ears to be LOUD!
No votes

Total votes : 6

Re: Hearing Protection... When will they learn?

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Since we are in the hearing protection thread, did you maybe find it too loud?
Exactly what I was thinking.

Dean is certainly capable, with an appropriate rig and audience, of doing an proper mix of a rock band in a setting like the SJTC space. It would be solely up to the band at that point whether it sounded "good" and was an appropriate volume.

Agreed. I'm trying to picture Aaron with a stage volume that isn't killing me in a room like that, and I'm coming up short. Whenever he comes to Cougars I usually have to go outside to enjoy him, but with the Playdates it might be different. I've never seen that band live so I'd have no way of knowing what their stage volume is like.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Brian G. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:08 am

Drumwaiter wrote:
Since we are in the hearing protection thread, did you maybe find it too loud?

I did find it loud but it suited the style of their music. It turns out their set only lasted about 45 minutes which is why I decided to take out the earplugs for the second show, plus the fact that I was hanging out near the back of the room for most of it.
Brian G.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 am

Brian G. wrote:I did find it loud but it suited the style of their music.

Well that's a pretty good indication. If you found it acceptable in context then it's a good place to start. Are there other provisions that you have to make though? I know are in a residential area, does that play a factor in your ability to have things as loud as they might need to be in a given context?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Brian G. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:19 am

Drumwaiter wrote:Were there noise complaints?

There were no complaints but they were done before midnight. I reached out to Shelly to let her know in advance because I knew she and Skot would hear it.
Brian G.

Postby Brian G. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 am

Drumwaiter wrote:
Brian G. wrote:I did find it loud but it suited the style of their music.

Well that's a pretty good indication. If you found it acceptable in context then it's a good place to start. Are there other provisions that you have to make though? I know are in a residential area, does that play a factor in your ability to have things as loud as they might need to be in a given context?

I am always concerned about disturbing the neighbours but we have not hosted many live music events (yet). The ones that we have had were done well before midnight. We do have cast parties but our in house sound system is only 100W on two channels so there is not much danger there. We do plan on purchasing a proper PA down the road however. We did have one neighbour come into the building last year and complain about the music. It was only about 11:00 on a weekend. All we did was close the window and never heard from them again.
Brian G.

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...