BAGPIPES!!!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

BAGPIPES!!!

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Discuss.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: BAGPIPES!!!

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:24 pm

They tune to 460-475Hz. That's all I know.

How is the session going? Have you guys started yet? Was there anything else you needed from me?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Uh.. isn't it 478 for this session? I hope so cuz that's what we tuned to. Sounds ok. Yeah we're getting close to being done, just getting him to try some crazier stuff to see if anything fits. Just panning for gold.

To bring everyone else into conversation, Matt and I have been collaborating on a piece for Tourism Fredericton that involves some heavy bagpipin'. Definitely a lot more things to take into consideration. I'll post the video here when it's completed.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

You know why pipe bands usually march while they're playing?

They're trying to get away from the racket.

Seriously... Those things are meant for outdoors. I did a short tour with MacKeel years ago and Dane Grant would need tons of his own pipes in his mix. Crazy.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 am

macrae11 wrote:Uh.. isn't it 478 for this session? I hope so cuz that's what we tuned to.

You told me 475Hz!!?!

Malcolm Boyce wrote: Seriously... Those things are meant for outdoors.

Quoted for emphasis.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 am

Alright, now I'm going to have to search through my emails. The kid told me 478, it sounded ok so I went with it. We can do a slight global pitch shift if needed. It's not like it's possible for bagpipes to be in tune anyways. :-P
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 am

macrae11 wrote:Alright, now I'm going to have to search through my emails. The kid told me 478, it sounded ok so I went with it. We can do a slight global pitch shift if needed. It's not like it's possible for bagpipes to be in tune anyways. :-P

Yeah I'm not overly worried about a difference of 3Hz.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 pm

This is going to hert your sound quality
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm

gamblor wrote:This is going to hert your sound quality

(lap

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:07 pm

That hertz.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:45 pm

Cut it out or someone's getting a hertz donut.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby RoadDog » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Hertz rents doughnuts?
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I used to like this thread.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Soo.... would it have killed anyone to stick to the regular program? The pipes I can kinda deal with, but the snare is all over the joint and I really don't know what I'm going to do about it yet. Now Andrew I realize you are somewhere high over the pacific probably by now, but man. I'm beginning to wonder why anyone would possibly want me to write charts if they were just going to play whatever they wanted anyways.

No biggie though I'll figure out something, I always do. I do thinking Andrew is laughing at me though... He was just hoping I'd be too busy to open these up before he left. You win this round!

Have a good trip buddy!!!! I miss you already, although I'm sure you don't miss me calling you 18 times a day for stupid things... Don't worry though I'll hold the fort down while you are gone.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 am

Check with Danny to see if theres a straight file anywhere. I did ask him to do at least one stickin totally to the script. The pipes, well he wasn't feeling the script the way it needed to be felt, so I liked the stuff he was more comfortable playing. So sue me! Not over the pacific yet. Got about four more hours of sitting in the San Fran airport before that happens.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:42 am

Well none of the bagpipe tracks are great, but I can work with them. I'm actually going to do a comp. Because there are something I like from each. But the drum tracks (all 3 pairs) are all over the place. Not just the patterns, but the timing. I couldn't line up any of those parts to the grid with elastic audio if my life depended on it. I can't find his "1" for most of it. I'd be ok with different parts if they were in time but these aren't so I'll ask Danny if he's got anything else for me. If not I'll try to find one bar of performance that's workable and just copy and paste. I just got to find out where the bars begin. The tracks start with a fade it so it really throws me off because there is no definite "1".

Anyways, one another note... I mixed everything else last night and it sounds bitchin! I did another pass of the drums to replace the scratch take (I didn't need to but I like to try my hand at training my new assistant every chance I get.) I'm totally happy with the mix I just gotta comp the pipes and figure out a solution for the snare and then I'm all done.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:37 am

macrae11 wrote:Check with Danny to see if theres a straight file anywhere. I did ask him to do at least one stickin totally to the script.

I just asked and that's all he had. So I'm going to assume that there were some performance issues that were prohibitive to playing the part as written. Christina's father is actually a bagpipe instructor and I can probably get my hands on a marching snare drum through him so... yeah. I need to stop making presumptions.

I'm gonna see if Nick is around tonight and try to get this done tonight. Then I'll just comp a bagpipe part that I can work with and go from there.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...