Investing in New Preamps

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Investing in New Preamps

Postby gamblor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:28 pm

I am looking to invest in some upgraded preamps. I want 2 channels, and am willing to spend up to 1000.

Since were on an such an interfacing kick, I figured this was a good time to bring up my question. I currently use a presonus firepod to interface with my computer. The firepod has 8 line level inputs, but it also has an spdif input. From what I understand the “cleanest” way to interface an external preamp with my firepod would be to use the spdif input, provided the preamp has spdif out. The problem is that there are only a hand full of preamps with this feature.

My question is whether it is worth it or not to limit myself as such and seek out a preamp with spdif outputs? Conversely, would connecting a preamp to the firepod’s line-ins still give me the improvement in sound quality that I am seeking, or is it pointless to buy an expensive preamp only to pass it’s signal through entry level equipment?
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Re: Investing in New Preamps

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:50 pm

If you are looking for a preamp with SPDIF output, you are looking for a preamp with A/D conversion as well. You are then spending money on more than just a pair of good pres but hopefully decent converters as well.

If you really do want just a pair of better mic pres, stick to looking for something that stays in the analog domain.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

So many suggestions for you. But do I really want to give away all of our secrets? Hmmm...

First off Malcolm is right. The conversion is either going to happen in your firepod or in your preamp. If it happens in the preamps well then you are paying for preamps and for the conversion and as such are going to be compromising one or both to save money. I'd go the analog route myself. Then later if you think your converters are between you and making good music you can look at a better interface.

If you were looking for a completely analog preamp solution then I could point you towards a GREAT 4 channel preamp for under $1000. You're saving money because all of it is going into the quality of the equipment, not marketing or anything else. We got one and it's great, we'll probably never get rid of it.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Yeah definitely agree with matt, until you get into the double your budget range, the convertors you getwith you preamp aren't going to be a significant improvement over your current ones. The Sytek is definitely one of the best bang for the buck preamps I've ever used, can't think of anything better off the top o my head in your price range.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:40 am

Straight pres x 4, no chaser on a budget with $1K to spend? Sytek.
Otherwise.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby gamblor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 am

The Golden Age Pre-73 is getting unanimously great reviews. Was considering buying a couple of these units. All hype or no?
http://www.zzounds.com/item--GOAPRE73

I've also had my eye on some of the Joe Meek products.

Great suggestion with the Sytek. I'm going to read up on that.
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 am

The Golden Age is a Chinese built 73 knock off. It is built cheaply with inferior parts. Although it may sound decent my impression with most of the Neve-ish reconstructions is that they would not mix well, see link above.
My 2 pennies.
Maybe they are the bomb but a few years ago I made a conscious decision to refrain from buying anything less then professional gear built by professional people that care about their product, this would definitely not fit in this category. All the Behringer and MI type purchases I made in the past on the basis of saving money has typically ended up collecting dust or breaking down while the real pieces make me money. That being said I realize that you may be on a budget, but people on a budget cannot afford to experiment with junk.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:...people on a budget cannot afford to experiment with junk.

That's a great quote. I'm going to steal it.

The point is that people on a tight budget for gear typically need to be smarter about how they buy gear. The idea isn't price, it's value. If you can buy great pres at $200 per channel that you'll never outgrow, then it satisfies both your budget and your right to quality equipment.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby gamblor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Found a used one in mtl for 650. Hope it's still there in April when I go for the RUSH concert.
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Conversely if you have a little disposable income you wont feel so bad when the $350 you spent on a "Insert cheap brand here" tooooob compressor doesn't pan out.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to Sounds Good...