I Hi Passed a Bass Last Night.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

I Hi Passed a Bass Last Night.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Live, not recorded. It was a flat top acoustic 4 string bass. It had so much going on in the bottom range, no amount of "cut" was ever going to be enough. I think it ended up swept up to about 80Hz.

Just commenting on the concept that came up in the "Bass" thread.

That's one of the problems with a rig that goes down into the bottom two octaves like the Meyer kit at Imperial Theatre. You hear all sorts of things you might not normally, and then need to get rid of.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: I Hi Passed a Bass Last Night.

Postby Jef » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Could it have had anything do with the settings on the bass guitar pre-amp itself? I've seen players who totally destroy their sound by over-boosting the built in EQ's on all the wrong frequencies.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Direct "acoustic" instruments still seem so difficult to get right. Players really either over do it, or under estimate the importance of the electronic aspect of their setups.

Although I agree that finding the source of the "problem" is usually the correct way to fix an issue, in this instance I went for a simpler fix on my end.

Going to a performer who is touring from place to place with a setup, and playing the "there's something wrong with your rig" card is many times a path to a bad day for all involved. It really depends on the situation as to how I would handle an audio "issue". If I couldn't get something I was happy with first, I would have definitely gone that route.

There was little time, and many fish to fry on this date.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Going to a performer who is touring from place to place with a setup, and playing the "there's something wrong with your rig" card is many times a path to a bad day for all involved.

That's when you go over there, play the bass and show him that even the drummer can make the rig sound better than him. Then you tell him to quit his yapping. All of this would happen on Mathieu's last day as a FOH engineer anywhere.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...