Far From Me

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Far From Me

Postby Nick H. » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I have not posted here in a while, but I wanted to post this new song to possibly get some feedback. It is a song I wrote, sung by Katie Rogers, and recorded/produced/arranged by Mathieu Benoit. The whole process took about four days.

Far From Me

I would love to hear what people think!
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Re: Far From Me

Postby Becca.R » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 pm

I heard the final mix to this track today and fell in love with it ... I listened to it many times and I am still getting chills! I've heard a lot of songs that she sang and this one would have to be my favorite. The emotion that is felt is just amazing. I think the lyrics tell a story that a lot of people can relate to. The build up in the second chorus is my favorite part of the song, I love how the build up kind of sneaks up on you, even though you know it's coming.

Anyways... I love this song! <3
<3 <3 <3 To be irreplaceable, one must always be different! <3 <3 <3
Becca.R

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 pm

The most impressive part of this whole thing for me is the writing. I mean, I expect that kind of performance from Katie but in the 6 years I've known you I had no idea that you had that kind of knack for writing. I guess those two piano lessons I gave you 3 years ago payed off, eh? haha...

You should be very proud of your work on this Nick. It was a team effort but without you, Katie and I had nothing to record and I hope you get that. I'm really looking forward to hearing your next songs. The two of you work beautifully together. Congrats!
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Good song Nick. Nice arrangement and Katie sang it very well. Vocals could use a little polishing up in the mix though. I'm hearing some bottom end popping going on in a few places (48-49s and 124-125s are a couple really noticeable spots).
Is this the final mix?
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Jef wrote:Good song Nick. Nice arrangement and Katie sang it very well. Vocals could use a little polishing up in the mix though. I'm hearing some bottom end popping going on in a few places (48-49s and 124-125s are a couple really noticeable spots).
Is this the final mix?

Speaking of high passing stuff... hang tight. It never bothered me much before, but now that you mention it I just can't let it slide. Gives me an opportunity to learn about automating functions within plugins with Pro Tools though. I'm still learning things all the time, but it has been a while since I touched Cubase so it's getting better.

EDIT: I automated a high pass filter on 3 spots and reposted the new version. Set the high pass to 125Hz at 6dB/octave and it's sitting well now. Thanks Jef!
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:48 am

You're welcome Matt, that's why we're here! ;-)
You should have left the original up too just for a comparison though.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 am

Jef wrote:You should have left the original up too just for a comparison though.

I see where you are coming from, but I'd rather not have multiple versions of it floating around if I can help it. Don't worry though it's on record that you caught it. ;-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Nice job! She has a nice voice and the song is pretty too. Reminds me a bit of Jessica Rhaye's early stuff (certainly a compliment). Those strings are a keyboard I assume?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm

clinton wrote:Those strings are a keyboard I assume?

Yeah, from my Kurzweil. I dream of a day when I have clients with budgets to allow me to record real strings. In this case the budget only allowed about 5 hours for tracking and mixing, so it is what it is. That being said, I'm still happy with them for all intents and purposes.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby KatieQ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm

So Proud to say this is the beginning of, hopefully, a long and enjoyable process for us. So excited to bust out another one soon! You did such a great job, Nick and Matt. Look forward to working alongside with Nick and writing more and more.
KatieQ

Postby clinton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:52 pm

if you guys need any material, let me know Katie
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:51 pm

KatieQ wrote:So Proud to say this is the beginning of, hopefully, a long and enjoyable process for us. So excited to bust out another one soon! You did such a great job, Nick and Matt. Look forward to working alongside with Nick and writing more and more.

Nick was telling me a bit about the next song you guys are doing and I'm excited to hear the demo.

BTW Welcome!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby KatieQ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Thank you, Clinton. Yes, Matt, I am also excited for you to hear it!
KatieQ

Postby Greg H. » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:39 pm

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear the finished version of the next one!
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Cryptowen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 pm

It's so weird hearing the people I went to school with making legit sounding songs now. At some point when I wasn't looking everyone jumped from "high school band" sound to "real deal music" sound. Y'know?
By that I mean good job of course.
Cryptowen

Return to Sounds Good...