Piano Tuning?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Piano Tuning?

Postby Greg H. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Anyone here ever attempted to tune their own piano? (Or any piano, for that matter)

I was just thinking that mine needed to be tuned when I realized this would be a useful skill to have, especially if I'm ever looking for a bit of extra cash.
I've heard before that you should always hire a professional and never attempt it yourself but I wouldn't mind trying. Either way I'm going to be calling someone else this time, as I need a key replaced too. One of my C#'s broke off because apparently the last owner was too lazy to replace it properly when he had it, so he just stuck some glue on it and "fixed" it that way.

Anyways, found this article: http://pecuniarities.com/tuning-your-ow ... efits/1326
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Re: Piano Tuning?

Postby Greg H. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Also, I just silvered myself :)
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Greg H. wrote:Also, I just silvered myself :)

Is that some form of awkward sexual advance?
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Can't say I've officially tuned a piano before, but I have tweaked a few notes here and there to bring them back into some semblance of in tune, and I've watched a few tuners work. First thing you'll need is a decent set of tools, and a lot of time on your hands. I would plan on a full day for your first full go. Probably try out a few notes here and there first though. take lots of time. Breaking a piano string is not like breaking a guitar string. Probably most importantly, get some professional advice. If I were you I'd call a reputable tuner, tell them what you're looking for, and have them tune it while you watch and learn. Expect them to charge double for you slowing them down and asking questions and whatnot. Most people I've met in the business would be very open to this, especially the older folks. Just be very up front with them. If that's out of the budget, find some piano tuning forums online to read up on. The link posted above provided some ok info, but it's a amateur coming at it looking to save money. A real pro will have much more to share.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Tue May 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Crimson Chameleon wrote:
Greg H. wrote:Also, I just silvered myself :)

Is that some form of awkward sexual advance?

Well, I suppose it's not war... So in that case... I'll try it out in a bar and get back to you on how it goes :-D

macrae11 wrote: Breaking a piano string is not like breaking a guitar string

I can only imagine how annoyed I would be at breaking a piano sting. I get disgruntled enough if I break a sting on my electric.

macrae11 wrote: If I were you I'd call a reputable tuner, tell them what you're looking for, and have them tune it while you watch and learn

That's most likely what I'll do. Like I said, I need them to come replace one of my keys anyways, might as well watch as they tune too.
I'm sure it'll take some time before I scrape up the cash for it. Tuition really likes making me not have money. Thanks for the advice!
Greg H.
Silver Member

Return to Sounds Good...