Speaking of Compression... Parallel Comp. live edition.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Speaking of Compression... Parallel Comp. live edition.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun May 29, 2011 10:01 pm

So, it's dance recital season. Something I have to endure this time of year. I get to deal with all sorts of playback sources of varying quality. Something I regularly have are ballet pieces with orchestral recordings. The dynamic range of these pieces are accurate to the performance, and sonically stellar, and entirely not what the producers of these shows want. They don't want loud to soft, the want medium loud, to medium soft. If you run the recording at the level that they should be run, forte is "too loud".

Just compressing the tracks essentially ruins the quality, and trying to ride the fader is always a losing proposition. A few years ago, I thought of something I've seen done in mastering with parallel compression to bring up the quiet bits. I set up a pair of inputs, with one straight through, and one through a comp set on stun with a slow release. Combined on output, the effect is entirely what I was looking for. Not sounding "compressed", but more level adjusted.

One of my newer weapons when dealing with this all too common problem. In digital console world, a super simple fix.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Speaking of Compression... Parallel Comp. live edition.

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun May 29, 2011 10:57 pm

Noice!
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Re: Speaking of Compression... Parallel Comp. live edition.

Postby macrae11 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:41 am

Yeah I use that technique all the time, and teach about it in my class, although I don't know that I've ever used it live. I use the Bob Katz term for it, upward compression.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...